This Disappears When Logged In

Can Ants Hurt My Snake?

Discussion in 'Common/Red Tail Boa' started by bethany, May 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. teiryklav94

teiryklav94 Well-Known Member

I use insect chalk :)

2. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

what is insect chalk? and how does it work? and how safe is it around other animals?

I'm always looking for more ways to get rid of these blasted ants - I'm getting close. But I have to remember all of the other pets I have, and only use things that are safe for them (tricky at times)

3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Insect chalk is a contact pesticide in the form of a stick of chalk that is imported from China. It has been outlawed in the U.S. due to a number of different problems.

4. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

scratch that idea.

5. 1melissa3

1melissa3 Elite Member

Bethany, honey, thank you for asking this, as I have found ants, ants, and more ants, just every where. I have cleaned, using bleach, and have moved things around, as I also have bunnies and a duck that they go after for the bedding and food. I have watched the snakes, and see some, as they are so active, and I did worry at first, but I also have noticed that the ones I have seem to be more interested in the bedding, which we change more often now that we've seen the ants. I will try the different ant treatments posted here, but it's so good to know that it isn't my "poor" housekeeping skills, as someone else is having a problem too.

In my old house, prior to the snakes, though, I was quite fond of seven dust, as we had silver fish and a variety of other pests. After getting the snakes and other animals, I wasn't sure about it.

6. wildheart

wildheart Elite Member

:D Ants dont give a **** about what your house looks like, they are like spiders, everywhere. :D

7. 1melissa3

1melissa3 Elite Member

What's so strange is that they aren't in my kitchen, pray not to brag or they will hear, but you'd think that's where they would be. They must not be after what we think they would be. I worry most about them nesting in the beddings, as even frequent changes don't seem to deter them much.

8. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

If they are still there after you change the bedding then check any wooden ornaments to see if that is where the nest actually is.

9. 1melissa3

1melissa3 Elite Member

We were discussing that perhaps it might be a better idea to get the artificial ornaments. What do you think? Wouldn't that also help with the ants burrowing? Of course, along with the ant treatment.

10. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

I still use wood in my cages, but I have managed to keep the ants out of them now, though for a while, they were colonizing some of the ornaments, which I promptly soaked diluted in bleach overnight. The tub in the morning was full of drowned ants. I did temporarily remove all the wood and substrate from the cages until the ant problem was solved.

11. 1melissa3

1melissa3 Elite Member

Those blasted thigns are in my rabbit cage too with my rabbit, but I know they are most probably after the food.

12. bethany

bethany Elite Member

Hope they go away Melissa! They are icky little things. Your welcome for me posting I also thought people might think I had "poor housekeeping" skills too, but if its potentially bugging my snake then I am going to ask, hehe. So far still doing good and not seeing hardley any ants. Maybe 3 in the past few weeks.

13. David McConley

David McConley Elite Member

Coming from the South where ants are very prominent- I don't think it is because of your "poor housekeeping". Ants are always in search of food,water, and more room for nests.

14. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

no, not poor housekeeping at all. They're pesky little buggers, and I have declared war on them in my apartment, starting last October.

It still doesn't stop us from feeling guilty about it though.

15. 1melissa3

1melissa3 Elite Member

=) I have just about invested in the clorox company with as much bleach as I've bought over the past several months. Nothing works as well, in my mind, or maybe I just like the buzz I get from cleaning with it, who knows. . . I keep things down to a minimum with the food and water, changing sometimes twice a day now that it's so hot. I keep an eye on the bedding, but the ants must be nested in the floors because I can't find any place else. We vaccuum more, too, as my kids come home from school, they know what they have to do. . . =)

The boa is growing more and more. We did get a bit of a bigger tank, as we wanted the biggest one, but they were out of them when we went shopping at three different places and my hubby didn't have the patience to continue looking. It gives him plenty of room to stretch out, though, and then some. The bps are still very much in to snuggling, even with it being so hot. . .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.