This Disappears When Logged In

Can Ants Hurt My Snake?

Discussion in 'Common/Red Tail Boa' started by bethany, May 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bethany

bethany Elite Member

Yesterday I noticed what I think are back carpenter ants crawling on my nightstand. EEEWWW! I also saw a few around my tv. I went and moved everything around and checked for food/icky things that might be attracting them and found nothing. However Ned is in my room and so are the ants. Can they harm her? I got some ant killer things that are enclosed and the ant goes in gets it on them and dies. Could this hurt her? I don't know what to do and I want these ants gone without harming Ned. Help!:eek:

2. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

The little ant traps are good. I'm not sure what your enclosure looks like, but if you smear an inch of vasaline along the bottom of it (especially if it's a tank) they can't climb up.

3. wildheart

wildheart Elite Member

Ants can not harm a snake but they are a sure irritation. I constantly have a ant problem and ants can kill my tarantulas. I use Karbodust around all my enclosures. (I don't know if you can get that outside SA thou) You need to trace the ants all the way to their nest, if you just treat the areas where you see them they will just find another way inside your house. :(

4. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Not true. Ants in large enough numbers can kill a snake!
    I had a friend who was an avid collector of skeletons. His method of choice for cleaning a carcass was to place it on an anthill and let the ants strip it.

5. wildheart

wildheart Elite Member

Yes there are definitely specific ants that are harmful, but ordinary black ants that you find in houses won't be-able to kill your snake. Unless of course if the snake is left unattended for months and snake is on the ants menu.;)

6. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

If you get enough ants of any kind in there and they sting your snake they can kill it.

7. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

all ants belong to the group of insects called hymenoptera, which includes bees and wasps. All of these are venomous, in varying degrees.

The vast majority of these are not harmful to humans until there are very large numbers involved, or if the human is allergic. (allergic persons are not allergic to ants per se, so much as ant venom.)

I single isolated sting or three is not anything to get concerned about, and black carpenter or sugar ants are less likely to sting than their fiery red cousins.

Use the vaseline trick, especially if your cage does not sit on the ground. Smear some vaseline on the legs, works like a charm. I just went through this same thing when I found ants in my Boas cage. Also, try to follow a trail, and if you find out where they are getting in, block it off if you can. I keep a tube of caulk handy at all times because we have ants galore here in our apartment, and I am constantly needing to touch up or fill in cracks where they are coming through, etc.

8. Aalamil

Aalamil Elite Member

X-Pest control...Sorry spot filling the cracks won't work hun.....They will find another way to get what they want! Annoying little buggers

9. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

you'd be surprised. When we first moved in to this place in October 2008, the ants were everywhere. Now, several tubes of caulk later, and a few cans of Great Stuff, my apartment is almost ant free. They aren't coming under the door yet.... But we took a can of raid, and hosed down the doorjam/threshold to prevent that.

10. Aalamil

Aalamil Elite Member

nice job! Get hold of delta dust and spray it into the wall sockets...never have a insect issue again...you'd need a friend in pest control though to get it I believe

11. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

nice. I try to avoid poisons and pesticides as much as possible, because I will react strongly to them myself. If I'm exposed to airborne/fumes, I'll get bronchitis and eventually pneumonia (had that 3 times in last 3 years now). If I have skin contact, or eat unwashed produce, I break out in hives in less than a minute.

Therefore, as often as possible, I just try to re-route the ants.

12. wildheart

wildheart Elite Member

That isn't nice at all, especially in a society that grabs poison at every opportunity!

It will take some time before there would be enough ants inside the cage to do any harm to your snake and luckily you do not leave your snake unattended for weeks on end. Secondly your snake isnt dead and therefore they will not form an army to attack. As long as there isnt any food items etc. inside your snake cage they should just walk by. On the other hand, when ants see a tarantula they form an army and attack.:( I know this because there is a tarantula cage on both my snake cages. The ants march right past the snakes and heads straight for my spiders.

The karbodust that I use are a powder that you can put on birds, dogs etc. It works perfectly for the ants.

13. Aalamil

Aalamil Elite Member

The deltadust I mentioned is not toxic to us and most animals...It suffocates ants and other insects

14. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Often times, they are looking for a good place to start a new colony. Food does not have to be present as they can forage elsewhere in your house. A good place to start a colony might be in the substrate, under the water dish, in potted plants, etc. They can make a trail to your kitchen to steal food.

15. bethany

bethany Elite Member

I havent seen any ants in Neds cage thank goodness. And since I put down the little poison thingys I have only seen one ant. Hopefully this is under control now. I also told my Dad about them and he said he plans on treating the house soon because he just redid the front siding and said they were in the walls. Our house is like 100 yrs old and was not not built well, so as we update it we are trying to take care of all the stuff the previous owners let get out of control.

Thanks for all your input guys I will certainly take any more advise and keep all of this in mind should they start to reapear.

16. beefcakemighty

beefcakemighty Elite Member

I sell this product called Orange guard. I don't know if you can get it but it works wonders.
    Orange guard
    May be used around Food, Humans, and Pets
    Fresh Citrus Scent
    Indoor-Outdoor
    EPA Registered
    Broad Range Contact Insecticide & Broad Range Residual Repellant
    How does Orange Guard Kill insects?
    The active ingredient d-Limonene (orange peel extract) destroys the wax coating of the insect's respiratory system. When applied directly, the insect suffocates.

How does Orange Guard repel insects?
    The citrus fragrance of d-Limonene acts as a repellent.

What are the inert ingredients in Orange Guard? Are they safe?
    All ingredients in Orange Guard meet the food grade G.R.A.S. (generally recognized as safe) standard set by the FDA. Orange Guard is water based, with a natural emulsifier, which is proprietary.

May I spray my carpeting?
    Yes, as a prewash spray for fleas. Steam clean carpet after treatment.

How safe is Orange Guard?
    Orange Guard is a water-based insecticide. All ingredients in Orange Guard meet the G.R.A.S. (generally recognized as safe) standard set by FDA. d-Limonene is approved by the FDA as a food additive, and is found in products such as fruit cakes, cleaners, degreasers, air fresheners and pet shampoos. Orange Guard is 100% biodegradable and water-soluble. Orange Guard is listed by the Organic Materials Review Institute.

17. wildheart

wildheart Elite Member

That is just one more reason why I changed to reptile carpet.;)

That Orange guard sounds good.

18. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

all of this reminds me (I study/practice herbal medicine) before the advent of bug spray, Oranges (and other citrus fruits) were commonly used as bug repellents, in many ways. Burning orange peels in a campfire would make the smoke repellent. Often, an orange would be stuck in the pantry with a few cloves as well.

Osage orange is slightly toxic, but works well at repelling everything. As long as there's no people in your house likely to get into it (small children) I used to roll them under my bed to keep the cats out of there, because they liked to use it instead of the litter box. Worked wonders.

19. bethany

bethany Elite Member

Beefcake, that sounds like good stuff! Where did you find it?

20. beefcakemighty

beefcakemighty Elite Member

We sell it at my store, I order from the vendor lol.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.