This Disappears When Logged In

Can a Ball Python Kill a Human?

Discussion in 'Ball Pythons' started by Boa, Jan 17, 2011.

1. peter84jenkins

peter84jenkins Well-Known Member

Indeed. Anacondas belong to the family Boidae.

2. Knox

Knox Elite Member

Well, shows I need to step out of my Colubrid shell once in a while LOL. I never knew this, since the Anaconda is Eunectes murinus.

Thanks for the education, guys!

3. TamJam

TamJam Elite Member

My Ball Pythons are between 3 - 5 feet. I believe there is one or two I have seen that are almost 6 feet, but I will agree that this is very unusual!!!

I think that in their natural habitat and getting all the exercise and food they desire by moving around in the wild, they (snakes in general) will probably grow larger/longer than they will generally grow in captivity? This is just an idea I have, based on my small experience with Jamaican boas.

4. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Actually most will grow larger in captivity due to the steady supply of food and water. No famine or droughts in the cage!;)

5. TamJam

TamJam Elite Member

I still think that as long as they have a regular supply of their natural prey in the wild, they may grow to a larger size than if they were in captivity. Perhaps in the wild, their natural prey is what they have evolved to eat - what is around them, which may be best for them, but is not available to the ones being kept in captivity, so those get a substitute prey that is in fact, less beneficial to that creature but the best the keeper can do. (Semantics???) Jerbils instead of rats?

But there is no proof either way, so...???

I guess the only way to prove either idea would be to be able to tell the ages of wild caught animals and compare them with captive animals of the same age! Difficult.:D

But this is going off topic. Sorry about the detour.