This Disappears When Logged In

Cambodian Boy with Huge Pet Python

Discussion in 'Burmese Pythons' started by DustinQ, Oct 26, 2012.

1. DustinQ

DustinQ Elite Member

2. king1239

king1239 Elite Member

very healthy snake i love this maybe this will make the rest of society realize that pythons arent just "Huge Monsters". =)

3. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Wonder how many people have signed up for it?
    and no I havent heard of any updates.

4. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

That is incredibly cute!

5. pandorasbox

pandorasbox Elite Member

[video=youtube;u6SYqNW3M-g]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6SYqNW3M-g[/video]

at this point that kid wouldn't even make a lump, would he?

6. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Ok I think it's cool that they have the snake. However I have some issues with the situation. It sounds like up until the kid was 8 the two slept together- this seems unnecessarily dangerous especially when he was an infant. I also discredit the "worship the snake to a achieve good health" more than likely the snake ate all the diseased rats and animals that infested the house and caused illness.

7. JoeyG

JoeyG Subscribed User Premium Member

Now everyone knows I love snakes but I can't help to think that it's irresponsible to go to that extreme. There is no such thing as a tame snake, and they should never be alone with kids that young. Heck and adult couldn't get away from that guy. All I can say is I hope they keep it very well fed.....

8. PrimalBeasts

PrimalBeasts Well-Known Member

the kid found the snake when he was a few months old and they've been together ever since from most sources. I also agree with the members that have voiced concern over this because snakes CANNOT LEARN. They have no neo cortex and has been proven to show no affection by science since they don't have the ability to do so. Snakes are very instinctual and the most you can do is habituate them with handling. To my knowledge, the only reptiles that have shown an ability to learn would be crocodilians since they possess a neo cortex and have been observed learning through observation rather than just simple classical conditioning. If this boy were to at anytime smell like prey.......this could end very badly.

9. PrimalBeasts

PrimalBeasts Well-Known Member

According to the father, the snake is fed 10 kilos (22 lbs) of duck and chicken a week and does not eat rats. However, more than likely the snake does but has not been observed to since the snake has free roam of the house.

10. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Even if he doesn't eat the rats I doubt the rats would live in the house with such a large predator there.
    Also snakes can learn to a degree but it does seem to be true that they have no emotional attachment ability(though there is no way to prove this).

11. mshrmheadcharge

Well, it's been 7 years and the snake has yet to eat the kid. I think it's a bit late to voice concern ;)

12. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

What are you talking about? It's never too late to act superior!

13. JoeyG

I think it just comes down to keeping the animal well fed. Any snake when hungry will bite you in a heart beat if you smell like what it eats. Giving them more food calms them because they spend time digesting. Clearly snakes that size can be kept as pets with resposible owners, in my humble opinion the risk is too high to keep her near such a small child. Hope they don't run out of chickens or ducks :)

14. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

or decide that a puppy is a better pet for a child...

15. JoeyG

or a Ball python or two :)

16. mshrmheadcharge

I don't know. That snake is obviously healthy and well fed as well as happy, I'm sure. If his family is willing to take the risk then it is their decision. Personally, I would not own a snake that large with my daughter being as small as she is. A dog can be just as dangerous as a snake...

17. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

I was saying that I hope they don't decide a puppy was a good addition as it would be eaten.

18. DustinQ

DustinQ Elite Member

most of the footage I've seen on the story is from 2007. Guess it doesn't hold enough interest for most people to do a follow up story?

19. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Or the snake killed the boy! :rolleyes:
    Actually no its not! Deliberately endangering a child is NEVER an acceptable decision. If it was in this country the kid would have been removed from the situation. And the parents locked up!