This Disappears When Logged In

California King vs. Corn?

Discussion in 'Kingsnakes' started by smallgrayfox, Oct 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smallgrayfox

smallgrayfox Contributing Member

I'm not having any luck at all finding an okeetee corn, which I really would love to have. But when I was at a local pet shop buying Spectre's latest dinners, there was a beautiful little stripey California King hatchling that really appealed to me. I don't know anything about King Snakes other than that Spectre would be terrified to smell one on our hands, since Kings eat other snakes. How do they compare to corns? Are they as docile and manageable? Or are they more lively? Are they more inclined to bite? Thank you for your help :)

2. steel rip

steel rip Elite Member

Kings are just like corns housing wise, in my experience they can be nippy, ;) they are quite docile and are handable, I wouldnt be without mine even though i have been tagged twice lol, but it didnt hurt that much, :D

Kings are more likely to musk you and they rattle thair tails too, they do a good impression of a rattler lol, corns are a much better choice in my opinion, but the king appealed to me and now I have two, :)

3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I agree. The Cal King I have (female) Is the only snake that I have come to expect to bite me! I have seen many that settle down but others seem to enjoy chomping on us! There is even a lady on another forum who named hers CHOPPER! He has routinely attempted to swallow her finger! (the pix are hilarious if it isn't YOUR finger) Stopping only when he reached the webbing between her fingers. They are also more prone to musk on you.
    Your corn will not really pay attention to the smell of the king since they are so far removed from the wild. The king on the other hand will react to the smell of the corn on you.

If what you realy want is an okeetee then I would wait and not just "settle" for something else.

4. smallgrayfox

smallgrayfox Contributing Member

I think you're right. Eventually I'll get to go to a show where maybe I'll find exactly what I'm looking for :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.