This Disappears When Logged In

Calcium Supplement Questions

Discussion in 'Product Questions' started by Dragoness, Apr 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

when I first got her, she wanted nothing to do with people. Handling resulted in tail-whipping, thrashing, biting, and many many attempts to run or jump away from me. She has calmed down considerably, but seems to have stopped calming, so to speak. Then again, I have been trying to give her some space too. I have read that Dragons are not as handleable as other critters because they stress kind of easily.

2. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

I'm still in the process of taming mine. He still squirms when I take him out (he's also just a baby still(I've only had him for a couple months so I'm guessing around 4-6 months old)) But what I do is hold him firmly when he squirms and when he settles down I relax my grip, if he starts squirming again I tighten my grip back up until he settles down. Usually after a couple times of him trying to squirm out he'll settle down and I can open my hand all the way and he'll just sit there and look around until I set him on the bed, then he goes exploring :)

Again, I would think the more interaction you have with her the more she'll grow to trust you. If she had bad experiences before you got her it will take time for her to start trusting you.

3. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

through most of her rehab, I tried to regard her as more of a looking animal because she was so fragile (what with the MBD) to give her some recovery time. I guess she's recovered enough now that she could use some bonding time, lol. Right now, I can tell she is very intimidated by me (anyone really.) Time to help her understand I'm really not a threat.

4. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

This will take some time, just be patient, like Steve said, the more you can handle her, the sooner she`ll realise you`re not a threat. Touch her on every part of her body, just stroking very gently, make small circular movements with your finger ( it `s very calming) the more you can do this, the better! Just now, especially after she`s been unwell and you`ve not been able to handle very much, you`re still very much seen as a threat!

5. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

When I first got her, she was too weak to do much of any defense, short of a full-fledged panic, which left her drained for days afterward. She was pretty limp.

Now, at least when I go in there, she puffs out her chin at me, and tries to intimidate me. It's very cute, and I'm just glad she's improved enough that she's attempting it. She feels strong enough to challenge me, that speaks loads to me of her improvement.

I took her out today, and she was very calm, after her initial puffing, and very little struggle. Just sat with her on my lap for about ten minutes, stroking her, and of course talking to her.

I'm going to work that into my daily schedule.

6. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Try the circular movements, they really do have a calming effect, and as I say, the more she`s handled the sooner she`ll become tame. I`m impressed you speak Chinese !! ( quote) "and of course talking to her".

7. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Maybe that's the problem! I'm not speaking Chinese, so she can't understand a word I'm saying! lmao.

I have noticed that circular motion helps with the young gators at work... I never though to apply it anywhere else. silly me.

8. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Can you put a photo up of her? ( also one of you talking to her and getting nowhere!!)

9. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Don't have any pictures of me talking to her, lol. I'd have to recruit the camera-retarded boyfriend to attempt it.

Here is the lizard the night I got her (before rehab, top picture)

and currently (bottom picture)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

False. The light only allows them to process the calcium. They would have to intake the calcium first.

I would dust the crickets. You would be surprised how long the dust stays on. I find dusted crickets 2 or 3 days after dropping them into the RETF tank.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.