This Disappears When Logged In

Calcium Confusion

Discussion in 'Product Questions' started by Dragoness, Jul 28, 2010.

1. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Ok, I'm doing tons of research on calcium supplements trying to settle one one to use in the future (Current bottle is running low, and I hope to be expanding my collection in the future as well)

At any rate - I have heard numerous times that Calci-Sand is bad - it boils down to it being made of Calcium Carbonate. If I remember correctly, anyways.

Many of the calcium supplements I am finding, once I read the fine print, are 100% calcium carbonate. Some are derived from oyster shells. Don't know if that figures into it.

Umm?

Is this somehow different than calci-sand? Is there something I'm missing? If Calcium carbonate is bad as Calci-Sand, wouldn't it be bad as a supplement too?

2. teach920

teach920 Subscribed User Premium Member

I could be wrong, but I am thinking one of the major problems with the Calci-Sand is the fact that it was "sand" that had the calcium carbonate added to it..It caused impaction because the animals would ingest it, and then they would not be able to digest it completely, and therefore they become impacted...
    With the calcium supplements, all of them (to my knowlege) are in "powder form", and obviously they can't be used in quantities that are going to cover the entire floor of the enclosure..(basically, the calci-sand is a MUCH larger particle/substance, and it can not be broken down nearly as well as something already in powder form..and I am thinking that the calci-sand was not "pure calcium carbonate"...it was basically a sand substance that had the calcium carbonate added to it....again, not positive about the make-up of the calci-sand, but do know the particle size and amount ingested is what caused alot of impactions.)

3. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

I was wondering if it was particle size. As near as I can tell, the Calci-Sand is 100% calcium carbonate (no real sand, just calcium carbonate).

I did see one calcium supplement that was "Strontium Carbonate" Not sure what that is...

4. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

The issue is particle size. Calcium sand is basically small rocks. The calcium supplement is finely ground powder.

5. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

There is actually more to it than just grain size, though that plays a significant part in relation to the second issue, which is ingestion.

Too much calcium causes Hypercalcemia and Alkalosis. When used as a substrate the animal is far more likely to ingest additional amounts of the stuff through normal day to day activities. Feeding, "tasting", etc can lead to ingestion of the substrate in addition to the normal ingestion of its supplements.

Since calcium carbonate is an antacid, this can cause the stomach to become disabled at digesting anything. This includes the grains of calci-sand that the animal is taking in daily.

Have you read this yet: Calcium Sand - Dangers

When used in moderated doses the stuff is great. It's when the animal takes in more than it needed and ends up with neutralized stomach acids that becomes an issue. You can't control ingestion when they are living on the stuff.

6. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Got it, thanks guys.

Kinda like people and any vitamin - right amount is good, too much is bad. Certain forms are not digestible.

That explains it!

Now, to choose a Supplement without D3. Any preferences? My current jar is getting low.