This Disappears When Logged In

cage size...

Discussion in 'General' started by dan_rump, Jan 30, 2007.

?

is there a maximum sized cage for reptiles?

1. no

22 vote(s)
    68.8%
  2. yes

10 vote(s)
    31.3%
  3. I don't know

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dan_rump

dan_rump Elite Member

is there such a thing as a cage being to big for a reptile? in my opinion i'd say if you can afford it go for it. but that's really all i got to say about it. just keepin it short and sweet. :)

2. HoanIsMyBallPython

HoanIsMyBallPython Elite Member

uhhh

say your reptile is on one side of his cage and he gets lost becouse its so big and he dies of dehydration becouse he cant find his water becouse his cage is to big that means a cage can be to big

3. dan_rump

dan_rump Elite Member

wouldn't it kinda be the same in the wild though? i mean... if you got a cage that big you could make some kind of large water bowl or "pond" for your snake inside of the cage if you are worried about that aspect of the cage. but other than that i don't see a problem with it. just curious on other peoples positions on that subject though.

4. HoanIsMyBallPython

HoanIsMyBallPython Elite Member

ha ha ha

ya i was joking about what i said earlier but i do think a cage can be tobig becouse there is no point in having a bunch of room your reptile dosent use there is a nice middle ground depending on the annimal.

see ware im coming from?
    -HoanIsMyBallPython

5. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I am of the school of thought that a cage cannot be too big IF and its a very large IF there is plenty of cover, easy access to water and food.
    These animals did not evolve in a cage. Where the size of the cage becomes an issue is when a small animal is placed into a large, basically barren cage and cannot move from one place to another without feeling exposed. In this situation it is unable to feed, drink and move between places safely and becomes stressed.

6. dan_rump

dan_rump Elite Member

yea... got it. just wondering though.

7. KrokadilyanGuy3

KrokadilyanGuy3 Elite Member

I like natural enclosures: bigger is better.

I'm with Merlin.

8. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

I said no and agree with what Merlin said. The only exception being hatchlings which sometimes need help getting their food.

9. IGGYOWNER

IGGYOWNER Elite Member

i agree with merlin.

10. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

I said no. Merlin makes good points but I'll add another big IF:
    If you can keep it clean and provide adequate heat and environmental needs for your reptile.
    Otherwise go for it, convert your living room.... :D

11. dan_rump

dan_rump Elite Member

lol... parent's wouldn't go with that one.

12. steel rip

steel rip Elite Member

I would convert my living room if I didnt need it lol.....but I do and my animals only need smaller living...for now anyhow, I think they like small cages with snug hides and all that....bigger adequate cage when fully grown with snug hides too...

13. alex07

alex07 New Member

i would agree with the others.if there is lots of cover for your reptile to move around its enclosure and water and food are easily accessable and you can get the temps correct then biggeris probablybetter but thats just my opinion.alex

14. Dark-Side

Dark-Side Active Member

I say bigger is better as long as its filled and not just open air
    hmmm my living room is kinda in use but my dinning room isnt used much(wanders off with tape measure)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.