This Disappears When Logged In

Cage-Making on a Budget

Discussion in 'General Construction' started by Dragoness, Aug 4, 2009.

1. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Picked up the glass this morning. The guy called me around 8 to tell me it was done. Then he called again around ten to ask when I would be coming to get it. I had a bunch of running to do, so I told him it would be a few hours, but I would get it today. He told me he would leave the glass outside the front door, and I could slip a check under the door. Talk about complete trust in a stranger!

Brought the glass home, and stuck it in, then added the lock. Tomorrow, I am going to drill a couple vent holes in the sides of the cage, and then move Vlad in, with his furniture and accompaniments.

To use substrate or not to use substrate? I can't decide. Input?

8.28.09_005.jpg

Attached Files:

2. DragonFamily

DragonFamily Elite Member

Nice! I say no to the substrate in the interest of keeping it out of the door tracks and keeping the mess down... But I know next to nothing about what a Boa needs to thrive, so maybe a "dig box" type setup???

3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

It looks good!
    With the way you have the front set up, if you use substrate, everytime you open the cage it will be falling in the floor. I have a 3 inch high "dam" built in the front of mine and I still end up with an aspen mess when I drag Molly out of the cage!
    And as stated it will be getting in the tracks of the glass.

4. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

He will definitely have an abundance of hides (he is still quite a small fella) and I was considering arranging a box or similar something, where I can put in some substrate and a moist hide for him as well, and maybe some leaves. I kinda like the tile look, so doing substrate on only part of the cage would be fine with me. I think I'll go out and get some small branches, and clean them up, and then use them to construct a natural looking wall that I could use to fence off part of the cage, and make a small lip to hold in some substrate. Put one of his hides up on that, and tuck some moss into it for him.

5. Lucysfriend

Lucysfriend Elite Member

It's looking great! :)
    Nice job!

6. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

having more setbacks. Apparently, liquid nails does not stick to the surface of the linoleum tile, so the bottom track is not sticking to the cage. Could be just a small problem. I should have known that.

Apparently, when I called in the glass order, I had also mis-measured, so the glass is about 1/4" too short for the cage, when it is propped open and straight. If I let the top buckle down, it works.

I managed to find a 1/4" piece of pine lattice, but with my luck, it's about 5" too short for the cage. Grey will be picking up more on his way home, I will screw that to the floor of the cage, and glue the track to that. The linoleum tile is impermeable, the glue cannot get into it to work very well like it does on the wood. I stuck the short piece in with clamps to see if it would work, and then put the glass in, and it's perfect fit, and helps the cage hold it's shape better. I just can't have gaps with unsupported track along the bottom of the cage.

I did find some pine lattice around the house (hooray for not having to spend more money!) Screwed it in place, making sure the screw heads were flush with or sunk below the wood so they would not interfere with the track when I glued it down.

Finally got everything glued, screwed, etc. Gonna let it air for a while (days) before adding Vlad and his things, even though I can't smell anything. Here it is, all lit up.

8.29.09.3_002.jpg

Attached Files:

7. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

Always something that doesn't go the way you want or expect it to.
    Can't complain about the cost of that though.
    You might have saved some money on the glass by looking for some old patio doors at a re-store or junkyard.
    I say go with the substrate. I'm a big believer in proper substrate.

8. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

substrate would def. help balance out the humidity, and I just don't like the idea of sitting water on the floors, even if they are sealed. Even if I only substrate half of it with a cat pan, it'll help with the humid.

9. DragonFamily

DragonFamily Elite Member

Yeah, I like the idea of the cat pan with substrate. That is basically what we are going to do with our AWD enclosure.

10. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

I can just see it now though - he'll get himself behind it or stuck between pan and wall, unless I find something perfectly squared and for fitting into corners. He gets introduced to his cage tonight. I'll post some pictures of him investigating it later.

11. Merlin

I have a big cat box for a water tub. You can adjust the humidity by moving it closer or farther from the CHE. If it is right below the CHE it hits sauna humidity!

12. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

This boa does great with high humidity, so sauna would be just his thing, but not so much of the high temps. When I have it at "standard" (caresheet) temps, he stays strictly on his cool side, and sticks to his cool hides, even after eating (and has no digestive problems). If I drop the temps about ten degrees, he actually becomes more active, moving all about his cage, and trying to find a way out, and in general, being a curious, mischievous little boa.

With this bigger cage, I will be able to get a better range of temps than I could in his 20 gallon nursery tank.

13. Merlin

LOL Or he is just trying to figure out where that nice warm spot that disappeared went to!
    Now THAT'S a fact!;)

14. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

He seems always to prefer the cool end of his tank.

8.31.09_046.jpg

Here It is, all done.

Attached Files:

15. brandon

brandon Elite Member

It looks great! Your boa should be happy ;)

16. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

Nice job at a great price as well.

17. Merlin

It may also be that he prefers the dimness instead of that bright light. I rarely see Maggie out until the light goes out and the only visible light in there is a 15 inch flourescent bulb.