This Disappears When Logged In

Cage Layout

Discussion in 'Rainbow Boas' started by Dragoness, Mar 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Great Stuff is the actual name of the product.
    It would take a heck of a lot of sculpy to make any sort of background and that would get expensive very quickly!

2. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

I think she said she was going to use great stuff to get the shape and whatnot and then cover it with a thin coat of the cement stuff

3. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

I was thinking about the cement, but I think I can achieve what I want with just GREAT STUFF - and we went and picked some up at the hardware store, only to find the price hand changed! It went DOWN almost $2 a can! I was so excited, I picked up twice as much as I normally would. I think if I skip the cement, it will keep the weight of the cage down.

At the zoo where I work, we have a very talented artist who designs the insides of our enclosures. I was hoping to steal his secret, and I know it's a cement/clay of some type, but all the cages he works with are stationary - weight is not a big consideration. It does not have to be baked, and it can be dyed, painted, sculpted, and sealed.

Below is my cage, with the first can of Great Stuff applied. Once it has cured, I will have to flip the cage, and apply more.

Also, the gecko is one at work, the tree he is on is completely artificial, having been sculpted by our artist, using hardware cloth, and a layer of the mysterious clay stuff sculpted to look like bark and vines! I was hoping to do something to that effect.

Attached Files:

4. fire2225ems

fire2225ems Subscribed User Premium Member

Hope you realize that the great stuff is gonna get a LOT bigger. I have used it multiple times, and I am always surprised at just how much it expands.

5. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

yes, I have used it many a time myself. I'll carve it down as necessary.

6. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

let the foam cure overnight, and started carving today when I got home from work. Once finished, it will be painted, and then sealed. Then it will be ready for cage accessories!

Vines, Moss, fake and real greenery. I'm excited.

Pic is after foam carving (Though I may do some more, some parts are hard to access with a knife - might have to whip out the dremel.)

Attached Files:

• 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      File size:
      16.1 KB
      Views:
  7. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

Looking great so far :)
    I can't wait to see it finished :p

8. Lucysfriend

Lucysfriend Elite Member

That's going to be wonderful, good luck. :)

9. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

working on coats of paint now, and these fumes are making me rather dizzy. Painting the bark areas grey/brown, with green on top (where moss would grow) and will try to texturize it as well. I'm using acrylic paints - they dry into plastic, and can be sealed, and you can mix things into them to add texture (sand, coco-fiber, you name it.) The floor of the cage looks pretty crummy from all the foam dripping, and carving, and paint splatters, but that will all be under substrate.

Attached Files:

• 5.jpg
      5.jpg
      File size:
      18.7 KB
      Views:
  10. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

LOL paint has a tendency to do that :p

Looking real good so far tho :)

11. Merlin

Yes but not acrylic. There are usually no fumes involved with it.
    They even use acrylic paints for face painting kids at canival.

12. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

Well then why is she getting light headed from the "fumes" :confused:

13. Merlin

That is what I was asking.
    Maybe just sensory overload from the odor.

14. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

there is a primer underneath - that stinks the worst (acrylic does not like to stick to foam) but the acrylics are very low-odor.

15. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

Ahhh it all starts to make sense now ;)

16. fire2225ems

Hey question, what are you doing to seal the acrylic? I'm painting skif's tank now and need to decide what I'm gonna end up doing with the cave section.

17. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

Shell, check out Liz's thread about her frog enclosure. I think she tell's what she used.

18. fire2225ems

Liz didn't paint her's she used the silicone and cocoa husk method - which I am using on most of mine, but there is a section that I am painting to look like a cave...

19. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

Ahh, for some reason I thought she painted some of it :eek:

Wouldn't polycrylic work? It's basically just a sealer you paint on.

20. Merlin

I would use the poly. Using a satin finish would knock down the glare of glossy!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.