This Disappears When Logged In

Cage Layout

Discussion in 'Rainbow Boas' started by Dragoness, Mar 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

I have a BRB of about one year, and am getting ready to upgrade her from her nursery tank to her permanent residence. I have obtained a disused cabinet of approximate external dimensions 24x24x36 inches.

My big question is, whether it should be upright, or horizontal. I'm assuming horizontal, but I'd like some input before I start customizing.

Would a BRB use the vertical space if provided with plenty of cover and shelves to make it usable? Or would it be best to just make it horizontal?

Cage will need a bit of work,

Opinions, input, experience?

Attached Files:

2. fire2225ems

fire2225ems Subscribed User Premium Member

I don't know which way to tell ya for cage position, but it looks like your kitty won't be to happy to share their new perch... ;)

3. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

lol, she'll be donating it to a good cause.

4. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

From the looks of it I would say horizontal. I have no experience with snakes tho:(

It looks like with it being horizontal you could still have a higher shelf to climb on, or mount a nice wide branch with another one angled up to it for easy access ;)

5. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Horizontal is my tentative plan, but if she will utilize the space, I'd like to make it upright. Right now I could go either way. I think they tend to be mostly terrestrial snakes, but I know they are also adept climbers when they want to be.

6. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

Well I'm no expert;) but I know they are on the ground a lot but have seen them climb and that's why I suggested horizontal with a branch higher up to climb on :)

7. reptile_kid

reptile_kid Elite Member

I have a colombian rainbow boa,and she doesn't climb at all.I'm not sure about brazilian rainbow boa's.

8. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

I'm thinking it's going to be horizontal - It's still tall enough, even horizontal, to have some taller spaces.

I'm going to sculpt a tree trunk into one corner, starting with a base of hardware cloth, with GREAT STUFF over it, and then a layer of (I have to find out exactly what it is) this cement stuff that can be sculpted and textured as you please, and sealed to withstand high-humidity environments. They use it in the cages at work. I want the roots to spread across the bottom of the cage, and disappear beneath the substrate, and install some plastic leaves on the ends of the branches i put on the tree. I have some very grand plans.

9. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

Sounds like it's going to be a great enclosure :)

10. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

I'm excited about it. we'll see how much of that I actually accomplish, but it'll be fun, and relatively inexpensive. I plan on installing sliding doors on the front. Will need to add screen area on top for any heaters and bulbs I decide to use. I want it to look just like a little patch of rainforest.

11. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

That's so cool. Make sure you keep us updated with pics ;)

I was gonna work on Buddy's enclosure today but it's my birthday and I felt like being lazy LOL

12. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

oh, rest assured, I am a shutterbug. you guys will be bombarded with pics.

You're allowed to be lazy on your birthday. delegate the work to someone else.

13. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

LOL I'd love to delegate the work to someone but there's no-one else that can do it that I know :p

14. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

true, When I have a project, I know exactly what I want done, and do not trust other people to do it. I decided instead of a tree up the back, to have a tree stump, and a fallen tree/log. Just finished the forms. Gonna cover them with GREAT STUFF, then carve it into suitable shapes (roots/texture) then paint it with acrylics, and apply a sealant.

Here is a pic of the forms I'm using, in the positions they will be in. Gotta run to hardware store tomorrow to get the rest of what I'll need. GREAT STUFF, paint, sealant, and anything I choose to texturize with.

Attached Files:

15. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

That'll look great :)

16. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

Definitely horizontal. You won't get a decent temp gradient in a tall. Even with our GTPs we use horizontal formats.
    BRBs can and will climb, but they actually spend more time (hiding) on the ground and it's best if they have a choice of a warmer or cooler side.
    Shelves and/or branches will definitely get a lot of use, though.
    Sounds like a great project.
    I look forward to seeing pics!

17. Lucysfriend

Lucysfriend Elite Member

It looks like a cool idea, keep us updated :)
    BTW you do know there is a chat room here right??:p
    LOL

18. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Yeah, horizontal it is. Started making forms, and added roots to the 'stump' form - I'm going to spread those across half the cage floor. Added one branch to the tree form. Hoping to do more, and add some fake greenery to the tree, and some real greenery to the rest of the cage once finished.

Not sure what I'm going to do about substrate. I'm looking at two main ideas right now - Trying coco-fiber again (we have had problems with it molding before) and fir bark. Either one will have some type of moss mixed into it to help buffer the humidity. Also considering an organic potting soil, or maybe a mixture of all of the above. I have a few weeks to figure that part out.

19. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

Yes I know there is a "chat" area but I never seem to be able to get into it :confused: :p

20. bethany

bethany Elite Member

Sounds like its going to be really fun! good luck with it. Um maybe Sculpi is what your thinking of for the cement stuff?? I'm not 100% sure but I think that's able to be baked so its durable and sealed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.