This Disappears When Logged In

Cage Idea's

Discussion in 'Emerald Tree Boa/Arboreal Boas' started by porkchop, Dec 6, 2011.

1. porkchop

porkchop Member

Im currently constructing a reptarium for an emerld tree boa, was wondering if anyone had some tips on heating and humidity control for my custom cage. Ill willpost a pic of whats completed so far to give an idea of size and layout. its approx 3'x3'x4', in a diamond shape made for a corner and optimal viewing area, plexi front/hinged door and 2 8"x3.5' screen vents on both front sides. I will mold the entire inside in foam and cover in mortar and seal. I plan on constructing a waterfall and plenty of realistic greenery/ possible live plant life. Id like to go with a radiant heat panel with UVB daylight and infrared night light for day/night lighting. For humidity control a waterfall with a repto fogger. Heating and humidity would be controlled with a zoo med hygrotherm or similar programable controller. My question is what size radiant panel/ lighting would be reccomended and humidity device that would suit humidity requirements? Any ideas or hints would be appriciated, just wondering input whether my idea's would be sufficiant. I dont have a ETB yet, probably a few months, just want to get my setup correct the first time around, i will have everything up and running and set up properly before i do bring home my new emerald, only want the best for my new snake!

Attached Files:

2. BarelyBreathing

BarelyBreathing Elite Member

Emerald tree boas don't need uv-b lights. It's a waste of your money. If you want a viewing light, just use a led lights. If your enclosure is fully sealed (no screen or open vents), then maintaining humidity will be a breeze. A fogger and a waterfall will be overkill. As far as heat goes, my emeralds have always stayed as far away from it as they possibly can. A 60 gallon under tank heater stuck to the side or back will do the trick.

Remember, emerald tree boas don't recognize standing water, so misting is a must. They drink water droplets on glass, leaves, etc.

3. porkchop

porkchop Member

Thanks for your input barelybreathing, I changed a few aspects of my cage based on your recommendations, the 2 small sides are now full lexan with a 3 inch screened vent at the bottoms for airflow. I did get a uvb for daylight but much smaller than planned, 16" rather than 24", i would like to put a few live plants in eventually so thats the reason for uvb. The waterfall will be on a maunual switch so reason for fogger is to maintain humidity when waterfall is turned off, my pond is a little on the large side but only because of my overkill on waterfall height, more of a catch pan, once i get it running i may downsize a bit accordingly. I will be ordering a radiant heat panel to maintain temp. Thank you for your recomendations/comments!