This Disappears When Logged In

Cage Ideas

Discussion in 'Enclosures' started by agilitygirl, Jul 7, 2011.

1. agilitygirl

agilitygirl Member

Im building a bigger cage for my beardies and Ive decided to make one. I would like to use plywood but it is hard to clean. I was thinking of using acrylic or Plexiglas. I know Plexiglas scratches but does acrylic scratch? Any ideas on design or what materials to use are appreciated. ;)

2. SixToedFreak

SixToedFreak Well-Known Member

I would definately go with acrylic. It's durable and lightweight so it's perfect if you ever need to move it around. Another plus for acrylic is that its cheaper. However, it does easily scratch.

3. annaj328

annaj328 Elite Member

ply wood will be the best insulator, if you put enough coats of sealant on it, the wood should be really easy to clean too

4. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

Use plywood and cover the bottom with floor tile.

5. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

6. agilitygirl

agilitygirl Member

Isn't the sealer toxic? And wouldn't they scratch the plywood?

7. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

No and no. Polycrylic, once dry, is fine. And your dragon won't care about the wood sides.

8. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

And by the way, plexiglass IS acrylic.

9. agilitygirl

agilitygirl Member

Ive decided to make the cage out of plywood and seal it with minwax. I would also put a sheet of Plexiglas on the bottom so the plywood would not get damaged. I will have 2 glass pull down doors and have wire mesh on the top. What kind of mesh would be best to use, It would have to withstand 100 watts or more. Or does it not matter? I am also going to have to top pull up.

10. mld

Just put tiles, slate, ceramic or porcelain! by them in 12x12 butt them up against each other, they are easy to take out and hold the heat much better than plexiglas would. A lot of member choose tiles, they are cheap, easy to clean and come in many colors!

11. agilitygirl

agilitygirl Member

wouldn't there feces get into the cracks of the tiles and ruin the wood?

12. mld

With several coats of Polycrylic it will make the wood washable, plus the tiles can be taken out for cleaning, they are just butted up against each other not attached!

13. agilitygirl

agilitygirl Member

Ok Thanks ;)

14. katie41586

katie41586 Elite Member

I used tiles for my uromastyx enclosure, (it's a wood enclosure as well) and your right in thinking the feces would get between the cracks. Even more so, I learned a hard lesson when I came home to some small splotches of blood on the tiles. One of my uro's got one of his nail's stuck in between two tiles and in his struggle to escape he ripped the nail out. It won't grow back and I still feel awful. In retrospect what I would have done is grouted between the tiles to prevent cracks. That way too feces wouldn't be able to get under the tiles.

However, I don't know mention about construction and although I don't believe their would be any danger in using grout you might want to check it out if you decide to forego that route :) Good luck!!!

15. katie41586

katie41586 Elite Member

*don't know much about construction.
    * I don't believe there would by any danger
    *go instead of forego.

I promise I'm smarter than that post would allow you to imagine. :p

16. Vers

Vers Elite Member

I'm totally judging you right now ;)

Good info all around though--wood, if treated correctly, is a perfectly fine (read preferred) building material.

17. dreke89

dreke89 Member

if you put a non toxic sealent on the plywood it would be alot easier to clean i used a whey based sealer on the one i built
    IMG_3335.jpg