This Disappears When Logged In

Cage Idea and Questions

Discussion in 'HH General Discussion' started by MoogleBass, Mar 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MoogleBass

MoogleBass Kittes are so nice! Premium Member

Ok, Im looking into other was to house my herps. Id like a CBD multiunit, but thats out, not enough cash for something like that. So I got to thinking. WHy not use a kitchen cabinet.

I was thinking about using the over stove cabinets, they are about the lenth of a 20 gallon long, or longer. I was thinking about removing the front doors and putting plexiglass. Sealing the cracks and corners with clear silicone, and then seal the wood. The only thing Im wondering about is the heating with wood. I was thinking cutting a square for the uth to be on a piece of glass or just lay it in the cabinet with glas over it? Any thoughs Ideas or pictures to help me out will be apreciated

2. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

I believe we've had some members convert cabinets into vivs. check out one of our other sites in the herpcenter network:

http://www.herphabitats.com/

3. rbl

rbl MacGyver in real life

There are a few threads about that in HH. I've made one of those conversions, you can see the thread here and view a couple of pics here.

Without knowing for what animal you are planning this, I can't be of much help.
    I can tell you a couple of things though: the kitchen units are usually water resistant (specially the ones for under the sink) but will not resist a high humidity environment, so if you are planning an enclosure for an animal with such needs, you will have to be extra safe to seal everything properly otherwise it will rot badly.

4. MoogleBass

MoogleBass Kittes are so nice! Premium Member

Im going to use it for my leos and then my BPs. There is a discount cabinet place thats close and most of the ones they have are solid wood for like 20 bucks. Oak, maple, birch, and cherry I think is what they have.

I was thinking of trying another way for my cages as Im getting a female bp soon. I want to use something other than tanks. Having another 20 gallon long that will cost just as much as a cabinet, but if I move, I dont want to chance tanks breaking.

Thanks for the info RBL.

5. rbl

rbl MacGyver in real life

In humidity terms, I think you will be fine, even with the BP needing 50 - 60%, that won't do any damage to it in the long run.
    Beware that I'm not familiar with keeping herps in any of the woods you mentioned so you'd better confirm with someone else if there are any cons to it, specially due to heat.

Wood is much more efficient keeping the temperature but to be honest, I rather prefer glass when it comes to cleaning.
    I can't just disinfect my BD's enclosure like I used to do before with 5% bleach solution. Take that into consideration when choosing the wood.

I've put sliding doors in my BD's enclosure. They work great. Not much heat lost there and I only open as far as I need so no sudden heat drops.

You're welcome! =)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.