This Disappears When Logged In

Cage Heating for a Leopard Gecko.

Discussion in 'Heating' started by aeral, Oct 13, 2012.

1. aeral

aeral Elite Member

I was away for around a month and during this time it apparently went very quickly from being summer to being fall! Raptor's cage is sitting at around 75 degrees all the time now it seems and obviously I need to resolve this issue quickly. I feel bad that I didn't before but I wasn't aware of it. Currently there is one of the desert heating pads as well as a 50 watt heat bulb over his cage. I am thinking I should redo the screen cover so that the light is directly above the hot side of his tank (sort of set in rather than clamped) but I'm not sure what else to do. Any ideas?

2. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Bulb up to a 60-75 watt bulb or cover the entire screen except a 1/2in around the light fixtures to hold the heat in.

3. aeral

aeral Elite Member

Hrm, so along the lines of what I was thinking anyway. Thought it might make a big difference if I covered it but I'm concerned about moisture too.

4. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Higher watt bulb would be he easiest option then if you don't want to raise the humidity.

5. cassicat4

cassicat4 Subscribed User Premium Member

I just use an UTH and 65W daylight bulb resting directly on the lid to keep my temps on the warm side in the high 80s with a basking spot of about 90F. Covering isn't necessary, and I would think it would raise the ambient temps too much. During the night, the temp can drop down to about 65F, so a nighttime bulb isn't necessary unless the tank will get below that.