This Disappears When Logged In

caecilians

Discussion in 'Caecilians' started by furryscaly, Oct 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

I'm getting one. :D

.........anyone got some good sites for care info? Apperently the best site on the web for caecilian info (caecilian.org) no longer exists. The one I'm getting is being sold as a medium "blue caecilian worm", so I don't know what species or size it is. I took a guess at it that it might be Ichthyophis bannanicus, Dermophis mexicanus, or Typhlonectes natans, but I really have no idea.

2. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

Thats so cool Matt, the Siphonops annulatus (South American Caecilian) is blue and black stripped and I think is the prettiest of the Caecilians,,,maybe that's what they mean by "blue worm". If so,,,,,you are one lucky guy,,,post pics when you can, Don't know if we have ant Caecilian keepers yet but I'm sure our members would love to see one.

3. SurvivorSteph

SurvivorSteph Subscribed User Premium Member

Aren't those Italian mobsters? LOL :D Since I obviously have NO idea what these are, I'm looking forward to seeing it, Matt.

4. Paleosuchus

Paleosuchus Established Member

I currently do not own any but have cared for them quite a few times.

Experience is very limited to them so i will just tell you how we cared for them, with success i might add.

First of all clean water is very important if not the most important. We used tap water that had been run threw a filter/purifier. I am sure if your regular tap locally does not have a horrible ph than it would be fine straight from the faucet, but bottled would be best i suppose.

Our tank was set up as almost fully aquatic with a gravel/sand/mud substrate. We had one tiny area for them to get out of the water like one of them turtle ramps. This was pure mud and muck for them to burrow in.

Temperature was room temperature here (76-78f)

We fed them feeder goldfish, rosy reds, and sub adult crayfish and large earth worms. We fed them at night.

Uh..... Only thing else i can think of is have a lid for the cage and make it tight and secure. Pretty good at wigglin out of tanks.

Another neat fact is they are the only order of amphibians which only use internal insemination. They have a penis like organ, name has slipped my mind though.

Good luck with them, neat species

5. Lyn'sSteve

Lyn'sSteve Elite Member

Maybe they know where "Hoffa" is!

Steve

6. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

Just my luck! I placed an order for one yesterday, and I get a message today saying that they're out of the caecilians, they just forgot to take them off the list I guess :mad: On the plus side, I'm getting some new newts, and a bulk order of 20 feeder anoles :rolleyes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.