This Disappears When Logged In

cacti?

Discussion in 'Tropical Plants' started by IGGYOWNER, Nov 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IGGYOWNER

IGGYOWNER Elite Member

Are cacti good to use in a green iguana enclosure? i am worried that he might hurt himself on it. are these safe and edible for them?

2. BRIZZY

BRIZZY Banned User

I don't know much about iguanas but i don't believe that it's good for them.

3. Lyn

Lyn Elite Member

Any type of live plants would be demolished or uprooted....so it usually isnt suggested for an iguana enclosure.....best wishes

4. Colleen

Colleen Elite Member

I second Lyn, comments.

5. UroTamer

UroTamer Active Member

Cacti

It's a good thought but Cacti aren't probably a good idea for nearly any reptile at least not in their enclosure though there are some exceptions. With Iggys unless they have their own LARGE room they would be mulch in no time. If you would like to feed it cacti you could buy de-spined pads to cut up for it. Some will eat them some won't, like any kid LOL. I'm doing that for my Uros.

6. IGGYOWNER

IGGYOWNER Elite Member

i've been trying to find some cacti leaves to feed him but no food stores here carry them.

7. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Chris what area are you in?
    Check the produce sections of larger stores and farmers markets, particualrly those areas with an hispanic population.

8. UroTamer

UroTamer Active Member

Re: cacti 'leaves'

The best place I found pricewise so far for buying the cacti pads (leaves) is of all places E-bay. Just got to http://www.ebay.com then do a search for "cactus pads" in quotation marks. Some deals are better one time not the next. So far I've had good luck ordering there. Locally, forget it!! Especially in the winter. Besides you'd have to either go to a specialty food store or buy a cactus with leaves as big as you want... and they are not cheap.

Kenn

9. Merlin

Or if your climate allows grow your own.
    They grow wild around here.

10. UroTamer

UroTamer Active Member

Lucky

I wish they could grow wild around here. Maybe I need to plant a bunch? They grow wild in SD so in IN it shouldn't be too much different temperature wise anyway. Humidity may be a factor as well as soil. Maybe I'll try it.

11. MoogleBass

MoogleBass Kittes are so nice! Premium Member

all that grows in IN is corn and soybeans lol. Check where merlin said spainsh places carry them

12. IGGYOWNER

IGGYOWNER Elite Member

thanks for the advice i will try ebay.ca. oh and merlin i live in central alberta.

13. Merlin

LOL No I don't suppose you would have a lot of cactus growing up there!

14. UroTamer

UroTamer Active Member

Thanks

I'll try a spanish store around here too and see what kind of prices they have if they have them. I'll probably try to grow them too. Who knows maybe cactus will grow as well as the corn and soy beans. LOL

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.