This Disappears When Logged In

Buying vs. Building

Discussion in 'HH General Discussion' started by Knox, Dec 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Knox

Knox Elite Member

Okay, I have been collecting money and doing all sorts of research on building my rack system. I have come to a couple of conclusions:

1. Even my largest Corn doesn't spend much time stretched out. When he IS actually venturing out it is at night. So, if he spends most of his time coiled then he doesn't need as much room as I thought. (I take my snakes out, so they do get some "free time".

2. The total cost of building my own rack with material, sealant/paint, tubs and flexwatt is going to range anywhere between $100 - $200, depending on which plan I go with.

3. I figure it will take me about 4 hours labor to measure, cut wood, draw connection lines and basically build the rack. If I pay myself (or someone else) $10/hour labor that is $40 on top of material.

Conclusion???????

I am going to buy a $200 4 tier rack system from Reptile Basics with Flexwatt and tubs provided. SO SUE ME... LOL!

At this point, all I need are 4, as I am going to build a long, deep and high enclosure for my Black Rat and may be selling one of my baby female Okeetees. )I can always buy another one to stack later when I have hoarded some money here and there.)

The Boaphiles are nice, but more expensive than the Reptile Basics. Animal Plastics doesn't provide the tubs, so they are out of my price range. So, considering all aspects the Reptile Basics is the best value for me.

It won't be nearly as heavy as 3/4" melamine or 1/2" plywood, either. I like that. Please feel free to correct any of my flawed logic :D .

2. jmherp

jmherp Elite Member

just thought i would throw another option at ya, lol.

http://nsreptiles.com/

click on snake shacks...

as your in TN, they are in Michigan, shipping might not be too bad.

3. Knox

Knox Elite Member

Thanks JM... I love the 41 qt. system - much larger footprint of the tubs. I just wish it came in a 4 bin system for the same cost of $225.

The 3 hole sweater box for $168 seems to be a bargain, but is 1 tub shy of what i need. Could I spring for 2 of them at $336? Hmmmm...

4. Knox

Knox Elite Member

Well, after going to the hardware store today to make sure building wasn't the way I wanted to go, I settled on the Reptile Basics. I like the fact that it has 4 tubs and they are included (along with the flexwatt).

I like the Animal Plastic, but it doesn't come with tubs. Rhino Raxx are nice, but too much money. The ones from NSreptiles are nice as well, but I didn't want to wait for a custom built 4 bin rack (and I don't like the fact that they charge $10 more for black). Vision? Way more Expensive and doesn't come with tubs - though I love the functionality of them.

In a couple of months I will buy another one, and that will give me 8 tubs. In addition to the rack I ordered today, I got a dual plug thermostat that will handle both racks.

Just wanted to give an update. I think building would have given me more of a headache than the savings were worth.

5. jshrad

jshrad Elite Member

Glad you got what you needed. Building can be a headache but in my opinion a handmade rack looks much nicer.

6. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

But,....but,... but,... you are missing the point!
    With the 40 dollars you payed yourself you could have bought a new snake!;)
    LOL!

7. Fran

Fran Veteran Member

8. Knox

Knox Elite Member

Well, I keep changing LOL!!!

I am wanting to sell a couple of my corns to have a more varied collection.

If I can sell a corn or two, I will get a Pueblan Milk Snake. Not sure what I want after that, possibly an Eastern King?

9. jshrad

jshrad Elite Member

Kings are great snakes to have, any of them. I would suggest a speckled king, very docile and they look amazing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.