This Disappears When Logged In

buying question

Discussion in 'Invertebrates General' started by SKULLMAN, Nov 30, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SKULLMAN

SKULLMAN Elite Member

i am thinking of getting a scorp and was wondering what kind are good for a newbie.went to petbugs.com for a caresheet but didn`t know what one to get any hlep would be great

2. Jay DeMore

Jay DeMore Elite Member

Most start with emp's. I have been looking at them for some time now and I think that's what I would start with.

3. eper-ani

eper-ani Elite Member

Deathstalkers and thick-tails are great for beginners....

Ok just kidding, seriously there are quite a few choices. Usually beginners will go for Emperors or Flatrocks. They usually don't sting and if they do it really nothing at all. Than there are those that may sting but are not medically significant but may hurt. Desert hairies are fun, a communal set up for chinese armored-tails are fun also but they are somewhat aggressive in that they will sting if bothered a bit and their sting will cause pain, but not as bad as bark scorpions or anything like that.

I think BrianS hasd a lot more scorpions than i do, hopefully he could help also

4. BrianS

BrianS Elite Member

In my humble opinion, a Desert Hairy is the best first scorp because you don't have to worry about keeping high humidity for them. They tend to be more active and sometimes sting their prey. Emperors are easy to keep but they do better at high temps (up to 90F!). If you get an emp, it is better to do the enclosure with the gravel layer underneath the substrate.
    With a DH, 4-6 inches of sand or dry peat a hide and a water dish is all you need.
    Another good 1st scorp is the Asian Forest (Heterometrus spp). The only thing is that you will need to set them up exactly the same way as you do the emperors.
    Flat Rocks are also a good choice. They are a desert species and are docile and reluctant to sting (they can sure pinch though lol).
    I am not saying Emps are not good starter scorps but they do have requirements that a person needs to take into consideration. I think you should get both lol.
    If you are thinking of ordering online these are good places. I have bought from each of these places. Check 'em out ;)
    www.swiftinverts.com
    www.carolinaspecialtypets.com
    www.botarby8s.com
    Keep us updated and welcome to the dark side lol

5. eper-ani

eper-ani Elite Member

Brian is right about the emperor thing...a bottom layer of gravel under the peat or other substrate would be recommended to keep humidity up.

Desert hairies are cool because its fun to watch them burrow and dig, they will sometimes sting their prey but not all the time IME

Personally I would go with the flat rock, the olive keeled flat rock, or desert hairy. Flat rocks dont get bulky like emps but they get long.

6. SKULLMAN

SKULLMAN Elite Member

thanks for the info guys,i just have to convince the wife and i`ll be set

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.