This Disappears When Logged In

Buying a Mega-Ray

Discussion in 'Product Questions' started by Dragoness, Feb 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Of course, I have seen the ReptileUV website, but I just want to know where everyone who uses them gets their Mega-Ray bulbs, and what the service was like. Any advice and links would be great - I'm getting ready to get a few of these.

2. Moshpitrockchick

Moshpitrockchick Subscribed User Premium Member

3. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

I have heard nothing but great things about them, and my CWD could use some spoiling. Right now I'm using a CFL, as a standby, because I would rather use that than have her without UVB at all, as she had Metabolic Bone Disease. Still reversing it. Thanks for the quick reply. Which bulb do you use? I'm not even sure where to start...::confused::

4. Moshpitrockchick

Moshpitrockchick Subscribed User Premium Member

Well how big is your tank and how far will the bulb be from the basking spot? Are you looking for one that puts out heat or just UVB?

5. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

One that does both would be nice. Tank is over 6 feet tall, but basking spot is about 18 inches from where bulb will be.

6. Lucysfriend

Lucysfriend Elite Member

Good choice! I just got mine (I ordered 2) and they shipped really quick. Great service too. For the price of 1 MVB I was able to get 2, which is really great. :)
    If your dragon had mbd that bulb is the way to go.

7. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

How did you pull that off? was there a sale?

8. Lucysfriend

Lucysfriend Elite Member

Nope,lol. It's just that the pet stores around here charge $97.00 for one MVB!

9. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

Ok, I need some feedback please. My megaray will be 12-14" from the basking spot (that's all the space I have unless I move the shelves) I'm leaning towards getting the 100W as opposed to the 160W, will the 100W be able to give me a basking temp of 90-95? (I know there are variables and what not, I was just hoping someone out there has a 100W sitting 12-14" away from their basking spot and would be able to tell me what their temps are or peoples best guestimate from prior experience with megarays)

And for my second basking area would a regular heat lamp be ok to use, and if yes, what watt would be recommended for it to be the temp I need (again, I know it's not going to be exact but I'm looking for guestimates or actual fact from people that have used them ;)) The distance of the non-uvb basking area can be dropped below 12" if I have to since I only need one uvb spot (and 12" is the closest that is recommended for the megaray's)

One more question :p
    Are there full spectrum fluorescent tubes out there that are like the ones sold on the megaray web site, and if so, what are the spec's on them (like watts, manufacturer, whatever info you could give me on them)

Thank you :)

10. katie41586

katie41586 Elite Member

I use the mega ray and they really are awesome. I also noticed a change in my herps right away. Also, it can give off quite a lot of heat. I would definitely recommend them.

11. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

Thank you for the reply Katie :)

How far from the basking spot is your megaray, what is the temp at the basking spot, and what wattage is it?

These are the things I need to know so I can better gauge what wattage to buy for the space I have ;)

12. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

I second that - For a cage that is about 6x2x3 feet, what kind of wattage would be sufficient?

13. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Just contact them, describe the setup and usage and they will tell you.

14. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

15. Drache Dame

Drache Dame Elite Member

That's a really good product...depending on what you're using it for. The difference between the flood and the spot, is the flood heats/lights the whole cage while the spot heats/lights on spot (basking zone) it depends on what you want it for. If it's for the whole cage, I'd recommend that one. If it's for a basking spot, I'd recommend a spotlamp. :)

16. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

I checked out what they recommend, and the 160 watt flood is what they recommend for water dragons with 6ft enclosures. Soon as I have my next paycheck, I'll be placing my order.

17. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

and of course, now that I have a paycheck, the bulb is backordered again.

18. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Each of the bulbs are tested at the plant as well as at the RUV office. The coating on the inside of the bulbs is also done by hand. These aren't typical lightbulbs, which is why they get backordered. Between how they are made and tested, and the demand for them, sometimes there is a few days waiting inbetween. They are worth it though. They are the only lights I use now. lol

19. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

I think I took the last 160W they had(looks innocent) I got my light on wed. and they sent me the wrong one (sent a 100W and I ordered the 160W) so when I called and talked to them on thurs. they only had 1 or 2 160's left and I got one sent out this morning

20. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

This is all your fault!:p I get paid again the day before they expect them back in stock. I guess I'll pay my bills this week instead. I am excited about this though, My CWD will be so happy!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.