This Disappears When Logged In

Busy Monday Part Two - Savannah.....

Discussion in 'Rainbow Boas' started by Rainbowsrus, Oct 1, 2013.

1. Rainbowsrus

Rainbowsrus Well-Known Member

So, right as Molly is finishing delivering her litter I look in the cage right next to her and Savannah is just getting started. At least they waited until the day after a show. ;-)

I'm guessing there's babies in that cage? This litter was a week overdue and the babies left the sacks almost immediately after being born...
    SA_PH_20130930a.jpg

You can see mid delivery and they are already off exploring...
    SA_PH_20130930b.jpg
    SA_PH_20130930c.jpg

There was one born without a sack and I pulled her out. She was so light colored I set her aside and know which one she is...
    SA_PH_20130930d.jpg
    SA_PH_20130930e.jpg

The rest of the litter all cleaned up (no slime pile shot as they left right away)...
    SA_PH_20130930f.jpg
    SA_PH_20130930g.jpg

Final count is 11 babies, 3 slugs and one still. And as expected there are some real stunners in the pile!!

Attached Files:

2. JSqueezer

JSqueezer Elite Member

Beautiful babies!!

3. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

so have you noticed a higher rate of stillborns in the litters that are past due?

4. Rainbowsrus

Rainbowsrus Well-Known Member

Not really but I do see a correlation with litters including slugs. Those litters have more babies born out of the sacks (ruptured while trying to pass a slug) and those babies have a higher percentage of stillborn. This year I have been present for several litters with ruptured sack babies and it appears mom has a harder time passing them. I have assisted several births by gently pulling on the baby. Every one of those babies were born live and healthy. I honestly can't say what the results would have been if left to nature, might not have made any difference, might have.

I assisted with one Savannah baby bron out of the sack but was not there for the stillborn as the babies were taking off right away after birth and was losing control with mom and babies in the tub. Thought it better to put the tub back into her cage.

5. Sarandacotah

Sarandacotah Well-Known Member

No wonder they waited for you :)

6. JoeyG

JoeyG Subscribed User Premium Member

congrats!! Lovely babies!