This Disappears When Logged In

Burrowing Substrate?

Discussion in 'Substrates/Bedding/Flooring' started by jewledrose, Feb 18, 2011.

1. jewledrose

jewledrose Elite Member

If everything goes as it is planned, I will be the owner of a new lizard tomorrow. I believe it is a Sudan Plated Lizard see link:
    http://www.herpcenter.com/lizards-general/33074-can-anyone-identify.html and I understand they like to burrow. I have never owned such a lizard before and am wondering about the proper substrate to give him. I have heard a mix of soil and sand, but also corncob bedding or wood chips. If anyone could give me a recommendation on what I might need, that would be amazing. Thank you!

2. Rakoladycz

Rakoladycz Elite Member

Not sure on that particular lizard but I would imagine the soil sand would be your best bet for burrowing. The corncob will not allow burrows to hold and it can mold easily. If you go with would chips I recommend staying away from pine or cedar, they can lead to RI. Aspen and Cypress would be safe.

3. mues155

mues155 Elite Member

I'm hope you already know with soil be very careful to read the label and make sure theres NO fertilizer in it. Most of the time its turkey poop fertilizer and that can be toxic for a reptile.
    I dont know anything about these lizards, have you been able to goodle any caresheets about them? Or the place your getting him from, do they have a suggestion on substrate?