This Disappears When Logged In

Burrowing and Eco-earth

Discussion in 'Corn Snakes' started by LittleRed, Nov 16, 2013.

1. LittleRed

LittleRed Member

I bought eco-earth as a substrate. I used it slightly moist but its drying up now especially above the uth. A couple of days later I notice my snake trying to burrow and I was scared it will go into her nose or mouth. So I took some of the substrate out of the warm side and placed ripped up crumbled bits of brown paper(the kind for sack lunches) and she started burrowing in it! I wonder, should I keep using the paper or buy aspen?

2. Wyldrose

Wyldrose Elite Member

In the wild they burrow in dirt, sand etc. She'll be fine in the eco earth :) I think I'm going to try my snakes on it next time I go to a hardware store they sell huge bricks in the garden center for the same price as the small petshop bricks.

3. Poison

Poison Elite Member

I say you keep using soil and mix it with sand. This will hold strong burrows. My corn snake burrows all the time. It does not harm them.

4. OrchidPal

OrchidPal Elite Member

I used eco earth for a while. I made a 3" strip with plexiglass and aquarium sealer, along the length of a 55 gal. I used it in this area to keep moisture & for burrowing.
    I found it would grow little white (? mould/fungus) even though I changed it all out & cleaned every three weeks. It also just smelled mildew to me. I didn't want her breathing that.
    Now I use just the aspen with a moist hide with orchid sphagnum moss.

5. lisas

lisas Elite Member

I use sand/soil mix as well with no ill effects. I have a bio-active substrate which includes the dirt, dead oak leaves, mosses, bark with lichen, etc. She doesn't burrow under the dirt, but is often under leaves and sticks with no ill effects

6. OrchidPal

OrchidPal Elite Member

I've seen photos of enclosures with natural substrates. I always wondered how to keep them clean (funny concept with dirt ... haa)
    One of the reason I tried the ecco earth was to make the tank more "natural". To you think the natural "flora" in your substrate keep the mildew in check? Just curious, I have often wondered how to maintain this type of environment.

7. Poison

Poison Elite Member

My cages are also bio-active and I have not once had any mold grow in them. My cages have been up for over a year (though my cornsnake enclosure has paper in it for now do to moving. Still have the soil in a bin).

8. jarich

jarich Elite Member

The natural bioactive substrates keep themselves clean, thats the biggest bonus to them. Not only does the waste from your animal get broken down naturally, but so too will the normal molds and mildews that occur.