This Disappears When Logged In

Burmese Pythons?

Discussion in 'Burmese Pythons' started by CourtneyAnn, Apr 1, 2013.

1. CourtneyAnn

CourtneyAnn Elite Member

So I've been reading about Burmese Pythons and they've struck my interest. I started doing a few searches and have been unable to find any breeders in Washington. I was just looking for some prices to consider for the future, but it seems like nobody breeds them. So, does anyone know of any breeders in Washington state (I've learned that they aren't allowed to be sold over state lines)? Or are they not sold anymore? Thank you in advance for the information.

2. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

Depends on the state whether they can sell in state lines. Is this your first snake? Because I HIGHLY recommend against it as a first snake. The feed easily cost 20-30 each. The minimum housing they will need is 8x4x4. The heating needed for an enclosure that size is astronomical. Not to mention if you want to hold one, bathe it, etc you must have a minimum of 2 adults. If it gets sick, you'll have to transport it. They are very very very strong. I am not dainty at all, my husband lifts weights and it takes all we have to hold one down when we give it shots, etc. My male is 15 feet, females get bigger than that.

Lastly, a lot of snakes and exotics are being herded into a new law regarding exotic animals. My state for example passed a law we have to permit (300 a year), get background checks, carry 250,000 worth of liability insurance, can't have any felony convictions, have a sign in our front yard by the road stating, "Warning: Dangerous wild animals or constricting snakes on premisis, among other things required. Oh and those letters have to be 2"x2"(l and w). Huge. Ohio was the most lax state regarding exotics, now were the strictest. As of now, I know of 4+ other states trying to pass similar laws.

While I'm not trying to discourage ownership, I'm merely offering a different downfall. One that MUST be taken into consideration. I love my burms, but it is a hardship to care for them. Anyone who has them will tell you that.

Not to mention, if you do get one and can't care for it, it'll fall to rescues to care for them. I hate getting those emails.

3. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

For a basic, not a morph in my state goes for 120.00 morphs go up to 400 I believe. Reptile shows to buy.

4. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

I agree with everything said above. To answer your question about breeders, you will likely have a difficult time finding anyone breeding burms due to them being unable to ship across state lines. After all, could be a real pain to find buyers for upwards of 60 hatchlings without being able to ship them out of state. You also can't take them with you if you move to another state. Maybe consider a boa constrictor instead.
    Edit: A show is your best bet but I haven't seen any hatchlings at shows in a while. I do see occasional juvenile or smaller adults once in a while.

5. medusa1974

medusa1974 Well-Known Member

I live in Tacoma.. There are breeders in our area. The big problem is you live in Sammamish, King county outlawed the big five inside county lines. So that means no burms, rocks, retics, anacondas you get the picture. Make sure to do your homework before buying anything in King county because they take that law very serious.

Oh and if you are looking for anything, we have the reptile expo coming May 11th in Renton. Just look it up at Northwest reptile expo.

6. CourtneyAnn

CourtneyAnn Elite Member

Thank you all for the great info! To answer some of your questions and concerns no, this by no means will be my first snake, I have balls, had a Cali king (before an unfortunate incident with my brother), and corns. And I planned to get an emerald tree boa or a green tree python first. And the size of the enclosure shouldn't be an issue, I'm currently building an iguana enclosure (7.5' tall, 8' wide and 7' deep), haven't bought the iguana yet, so I might just make that into a Burmese Python enclosure instead, since I'm just starting to build it, so I can definitely make the necessary adjustments to my original plan. So I was thinking of this for at least year or so from now, I just thought it odd that I couldn't find any breeders. Oh! And I'm moving out of sammamish this summer, WAY to expensive here! Lol :) In a final thought, any good intermediate snakes? Are emerald tree boas and/or green tree pythons a good next step since I've had just the balls, corns, and the Cali king? What others make a good next step in my experience?

7. mikeyp03

mikeyp03 Elite Member

I would say look at the carpet pythons if you want to go a little bigger than what you currently have. There is a lot of info on them here. I had a 14 ft burmese a while back, and that was my last big snake.....I won't ever have one myself again. They are amazing animals that look fantastic, but they are a whole different animal to own and take care of. Feeding them is Expensive(like the post above says) Cleaning up after them is also something most people don't take it account.....when they go to the bathroom, think of what a labrador does in a yard(any big dog).......thats pretty much what is coming out of a big burm lol.

And yes at that size you really should never be alone with it. I took mine outside alone one day, and luckily my sister was at home because she had to come help uncoil it off of me....I think it was that day that I decided I was done with the big snakes.

There are a lot of different options with the Carpets though, and it almost sounds like you want a big snake or a tree snake. With the carpets, you get a little of both of those options.....not really big, and not only a tree snake though :)

8. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

A large boa is a decent intermediate snake. Get about 8 feet (females) Nothing really prepares you though. Again I strongly recommend reconsidering. A ball python and king snake, iguana in no way prepares you. They are like a guinea pig compared to a dog.

Can you find a rabbit breeder? Pet stores will not sell you rabbits for feed. They may first month, until you keep coming back. Don't count on them eating frozen thawed. Most won't.

9. justor

justor Elite Member

I would get a carpet python before a green tree python. They are beautiful and impressive snakes, and they behave in much the same way as green tree pythons except they generally have more laid back attitudes and husbandry is easier overall, plus they are usually really good about handling which chondros typically are not. Carpets are definitely the best stepping stone to getting into chondros.

10. medusa1974

If you are interested in getting a bit of a show and tell session I am always expanding my collection. But I really love the giants, I have burms and retics. You are more than welcome to come down to Tacoma and kind of get an idea of what your getting into with a burmese. And my neighbor is on the board for the Northwest Herpatological society. She has balls, carpets and a huge variety of other snakes.

11. Katsura

Katsura Elite Member

Whoa, that doesn't include boa constructors, does it? I May have to rethink my hopeful move up to Washington later this year if it means I'd have to leave my Zuul behind...

12. medusa1974

No the ban in King County is only on the big five.

13. CourtneyAnn

CourtneyAnn Elite Member

Medusea1974 - I would love to come see your collection and pick your brain for tips!

14. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

I would second the idea of getting some hands on experience with a big burm if you have the chance. Even having a large boa won't entirely prepare you for how massive and strong burms can be. Imagine a hundred pounds of snake hissing at you loudly for 30 seconds straight. That's what my female used to do if I happened to touch her without noticing she was in blue. She was normally a sweetheart but a little cage defensive. Make sure you find a food source for it ahead of time. Consider breeding your own rabbits maybe. Many breeders will turn you down if they find out you are feeding. Been there.
    Now for all that, I will say that I absolutely loved my burms, and I will get another one when I get space for the cage and set up a rabbit breeding group. Just not going to breed again.

15. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

I have not heard of burms being picky with regards to eating live vs. F/T. Rodent Pro provides F/T rabbits of all sizes, clear up to 12 pounds. Then again, you'd need the freezer space for it, too. And paying $50 to ship a box of 2 rabbits is steep.

That said, I'm sure zoos in your areas have their suppliers as well. If you could find out who supplies them, you might save some $ by using the same company if they sell to the public.

I don't know about a burm poop, but my Boa alone can put any dog to shame when it comes to output, and I have cleaned up after great danes and newfoundlanders.

I'd like to say a boa is a nice intermediate rung on your way to a burm, but I can't back that with personal experience, because I have no burms. Only a boa (and other snakes) handful though she may be. It would certainly be a closer comparison than a ball python or any colubrid.

16. medusa1974

Until you have actually had a chance to have some time with a Burm you have no idea. No boa will prepare you for the sheer strength and size of one until you actually work with one. You also have to think about how you will house it when it is full grown, mine literally have there own room where my giants call home. Do have the room for a 15-20ft snake. As far as food if you do decide in the future to get one I can hook you up with the people I get my feeder rabbits from.