This Disappears When Logged In

Burmese or Brazilian Rainbow Boa?

Discussion in 'Burmese Pythons' started by CountTripula, Oct 2, 2011.

1. CountTripula

CountTripula Elite Member

So our local reptile guy is trying his hardest to sale us a $170 dollar Brazilian rainbow boa or a $100 Burmese python both are very gorgeous! Just having a hard time choosing which I would rather home. Could someone please give experience of both or pros and cons? He says im getting a big discount on both prices but Idk. Any advice would help out greatly!

2. hennisntacanibal

hennisntacanibal Elite Member

I'd go for the brb personally. They get nowhere near as big as Burmese, plus they are absolutely beautiful. Someone else should be able to give you advice on husbandry for both.

3. andys3ballpythons

andys3ballpythons Elite Member

i guess a good question for you is, do you have a spare room for the burmese to call home? they get huge, my vote says the rainbow is a better chioce, require very high humidity, but i think it would be the better choice in the long run.

4. missabrat

missabrat Elite Member

two totally different animals, size would play the biggest factor, as well as temperament,one thing I wouldn't want is a miserable burm trying to eat my face off! Another thing you would need to think about is housing, will you be able to house a full grown burm? Something else to think about...WHY is he trying his hardest to sell either of the animals at discounted prices? Are there underlying reasons that he is not telling you about?

Good luck with your decision! Personally I would go with the rainbow!

5. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

I only paid $90 for my BRB, so $170 does not sound like a deal to me. I know I regularly see Burms go for much cheaper too, so this guy is full of it, if he thinks those are great prices.

Burms get HUGE - 14-17 feet or more in captivity, large enough to kill a reckless human easily. Are you equipped to house, feed, and safely care for a snake that could exceed 200 lbs, and require more then just one person to move? Do you have friends or family willing and able to help you move a snake that size?

Personally, I go with the BRB, they are the most beautiful snake out there, hands down, and much easier to accommodate than a Burmese python would be. They are also the whole reason I got into snakes... I couldn't resist them. I saw a picture of one in a book when I was 8, and said to myself "Someday, I will have one of those."

I will also add, that while some snakes, you can start in a small enclosure, Burms tend to grow very fast (Their first years, they can grow over 4 feet a year easily) so you don't have much time to build as they grow, like you would with many smaller snakes. If you get one of those, you better be ready right now, lol.

6. AjaMichelle

AjaMichelle Elite Member

I would opt for the boa. I have a Burmese and he's an expensive snake! I've already spent $400 on his 6'Lx3'Hx2'D custom made enclosure, $200 on his heat panel, $120 on his thermostat, and about $100 on his food for the next few months. I also have to have someone present when I handle him!

Also, burmese are very susceptible to RIs...

If you haven't kept large constrictors, I would go with one that'll grow to less than 14 feet.

7. purplemuffin

purplemuffin Elite Member

Adult animals are often much much more expensive than babies. I have trouble finding a year+ old brb for under 200 dollars myself, especially if it's a female or brightly colored! If this is an older BRB, I can understand the price.

Also, I vote BRB. If you are ready for the burmese, than okay, but...that's an expensive and demanding animal!

8. CountTripula

This is actually a very tiny baby boa!!! Idk if it being curled up in a ball while him showing it to me is healthy though.. also the berm was yellow redish color very active. Yes I know berm is a demanding snake.I went online and yeah he is kinda jipping me on price a little. Im pretty sure im gonna go with the boa if he still has it tomm. My only issue with a berm would be the temper I know some snakes have good tempers and some are just naturally really nasty... I have the room and money for one ect. Also what would a full grown adult Burmese eat? That would make my decision much easier because if I can't get its food near by due to me living in such a small town their is really no use in even thinking about a berm. Im already driving a hour away to get rats for my python and red tail.

9. purplemuffin

That's a very expensive snake if it is that young, unless it is REALLY outstanding. I've seen babies for high prices, but they are usually het for something or a really really good color/pattern. If you don't absolutely love it, I wouldn't pick it up for such a high price to be honest. There are lots of gorgeous, healthy babies for better prices, if you're willing to wait!

I know BRB babies are pretty shy/nippy when they are itty bitty, I've never seen one in a ball when I've gone to shows/see pictures, but they do like to hide, so it's possible it was just scared.

I know some people feed burmese rabbits and adult chickens and their HUGE burmese might eat a small pig, or other adequately sized prey animals. They eat less often when they are that size, but it is still pretty expensive when they get big. Lots of food.

Also lots of poop! Picture poop as big as the rabbit they ate! Wow!

10. CountTripula

Wow that is some big poop! The thing that gets me is yeah its the color and pattern of a brb but I do not see the glossy colorful shine.. its a very pretty baby. Its just not as outstanding as I would have thought. I am also very unsure of the owner because when I went to look into the anole tank he had to 6wear inch iguanas in there with 6 anoles.. a skeleton of a ankle and another skeleton of a iguana. I should probably shop around. I also have no clue on where to find a prekilled pig around here so im definitely not considering a berm anymore unless I can find a place close by.

11. purplemuffin

The iridescence is really best seen in the sunlight! Bland lighting never makes them look good. They look like completely different snakes!

I would shop around though! You will find other babies! :) Sounds like he might not know what he's doing! There are plenty of breeders with really pretty babies. Honestly, with shipping, a baby BRB can still go for around the price you were planning to pay anyway, you might find one you like and not spend any more, or maybe spend less!

Here's a couple breeders I know of who sell BRBs! There are more of course and you might know these, but it never hurts to have more places to look! :)

Brazilian Rainbow Boa for sale
    I like their website because they put awesome photos of the parents up, which is great to see how to colors will develop(Unlike ball pythons that are brightest as babies, BRBs get more color with age, so parents show what the color will most likely be)

Rainbowboas.Com
    Now, his website is never updated and is..not exactly the best design in the world. But he has some really awesome BRBs, and he almost always ends up with too many, so the best babies are sold at really affordable prices. He was where we got our little girl, sad, wish we had more time with her! :(
    Since his website isn't the best, check out his facebook, he updates it more regularly(he also is nice about adding people as a friend)- Bryan Hummel | Facebook

Right now I'm sort of looking out for Moonlight Boas Homepage but they don't have any BRBs for sale yet. But the breeders they have are exactly what I want in a brazilian rainbow boa... they are soooo pretty! So I'm willing to wait! :)

Then of course, there are plenty more people selling them, or adopting them out who don't want them anymore. These are just people who have sold my friends some really healthy babies. :D

12. Iggysmommie

Iggysmommie Elite Member

I vote the BRB mainly because thats the only one I have had experience with. I also think the price is way to high even for out here where you dont find them to often. I got my pair almost 11 years ago and if I remember right they were only about 250 or so for the pair. Very brightly colored and great dispositions. Yes sometimes if they are cold I have seen them in a ball but mine would just bury themselves in the substrate if they were scared. I have a friend that has 2 burms out here and he cant even feed with out at least one if not two other people helping him, and one of his snakes is still a baby.... at close to 7 ft already. The other one is I believe almost 15ft and it takes four people to be able to handle her.

13. hennisntacanibal

hennisntacanibal Elite Member

I know you can order tons of f/t animals online but shipping is usually outrageous. And from what you're saying about this guy, keeping anoles with iguanas and overcharging I'd say definitely wait til you can go to an expo to pick up an animal from a reputable breeder who is guaranteed to be healthy. Also I haven't handled brbs much but the one I did get to see was not nippy or shy at all. He was part of an educational exhibition, so I'm sure he's handled quite a bit. But if given the choice between a cranky burm and a cranky brb, I'd go with the brb any day of the week.

14. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

I order frozen rats for all my snakes, and the shipping is about $50/box, but a box contains 4-6 months worth of food, and the price of all the rats more than makes up for it. I paid $140 total this week, for a 5 month supply of food for my collection (Which consists of: 2 adult ball pythons, 1 adult common boa, 1 adult BRB, 1 central American boa, 3 baby ball pythons, 1 JCP, 1 Milk Snake, 1 King Snake, and 1 Indonesian Boa)

Compared to pet store prices, that's a steal of a deal.

Back when I only had a couple ball pythons and 2 boas, I spent $25/week on rodents at pet stores. It adds up quick! I can only imagine what I would spend on it now.

15. CountTripula

What is a good site for that?

16. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

17. CountTripula

18. missabrat

missabrat Elite Member

Rodent pro is one of the best and if you live near where they are attending an expo then they deliver to the expo for FREE! I have never had an issues with any of their products.

19. CountTripula

Thats very reassuring. i found them on Google this morning before Merlin told me but i was kinda skittish because you never know about online buying sites. I'm gonna definitely be ordering off this site from now on. Last time i went to the pet shop for mice and rats he gave me the wrong color and sizes he also over priced them.

20. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

I also Ordered from Rodent Pro. You won't get to choose color or anything, but most of their stuff comes solid white.