This Disappears When Logged In

Burm Question

Discussion in 'Burmese Pythons' started by AjaMichelle, Aug 17, 2012.

1. AjaMichelle

AjaMichelle Elite Member

Am I feeding my Burm enough?

I'm feeding him a 7 pound rabbit every 3 to 4 weeks. He's got an obvious lump after eating and the bloat lasts several days. The temps and humidity are perfect and he exercises regularly. However, he doesn't seem to be gaining any weight.

Suggestions?

Thanks! :)

2. AjaMichelle

AjaMichelle Elite Member

3. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

Nice snake. I can't answer your question though.

4. DustinQ

DustinQ Elite Member

He looks healthy to me, most people keeping burmese pythons overfeed them. One of mine is only 60 lbs and the vet told me she was obese. How long have you had him? How big is he? I have 2, one male albino like yours and one regular female. It's hard to tell they're getting bigger but they are. female is 12 ft and male is 14 ft. The female grew another foot before I noticed she was any bigger. I feed both of mine a large rabbit (think the ones I get are a little smaller than 7 lbs) every 2 weeks but since the vet told me she was obese I try to switch it up and give her small chickens and large rats more frequently. I give them rats every week and they're always hungry.

5. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

Id say that's plenty. I agree. People tend to overfeed a lot. If he's shedding regularly and there's an obvious lump then he is fine.

On another note, every time I see your monty, I want an albino. Hmm.....

6. JoeyG

JoeyG Subscribed User Premium Member

He looks alright really. Maybe you could feed every 3 weeks instead of 4 and see how he does with it. How big is he now?

7. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Aja I think he looks fine. All too often I see burms that look like a stuffed sausage skin!

8. AjaMichelle

AjaMichelle Elite Member

Thanks! :)

Monty is 15 feet and about 20 years old. I don't have any way to accurately weigh him but I'm estimating his weight at 60 to 70 pounds.

I've had him for a little over a year. He was 23 pounds when I got him, and he went off food for about 6 months over winter. I'm trying to feed him more often but he goes into shed like every three weeks and won't eat while he's shedding. :/

I'm owner 03 and owner 02 said Monty was around 100 pounds when he got him. Owner 02 said that Monty was fat... like that he had fat rolls. Owner 01 fed Monty a 15 pound rabbit every two weeks. Owner 02 said Monty was maintaining at about 80 pounds, and he was feeding him rats and rabbits.

Thanks! I think Monty is beautiful! :) He's all shiny and freshly shed in the photos!

I'm trying to feed more often but he goes into shed like every three weeks and I thought that every two weeks was too soon? He's like 60 to 70 pounds now. :)

Thanks! I definitely don't want him to get huge, but I'm concerned he's not a good weight.

9. CentriRitanni

CentriRitanni Elite Member

He looks healthy to me. Does he always shed that often?

10. AjaMichelle

AjaMichelle Elite Member

Well I've only had him for a little over a year and he's done this the whole time. I feed him, he's bloated for a few days, about three weeks later he goes blue, and about two weeks later he's done shedding. I've always assumed he's growing (heavier) because he sheds so often.

11. CentriRitanni

I would think so, too. Do you have two bathroom scales? If so, if you and your boyfriend can handle him together, you can each step on a scale at the same time, add the total weight, subtract your weights, and you'll have his weight (this may require a third person). Have you tried upping his food weight at any point?

12. AjaMichelle

AjaMichelle Elite Member

No we only have one :/ and it sucks! I try to weigh myself and Monty but his weight is always some crazy small number. It's so weird. He's obviously heavier and is getting to the point where I can barely lift him up above my head.

I started him on large rats and worked up to 7 pound rabbits over about 8 months.

I'm feeding him now. Photos soon. The dummy somehow managed to bite himself. *face palm* ...well more of a tooth snag lol. He snagged a fang on his own back. He's currently working on locating the food.

13. CentriRitanni

Love genius animals. ;b

I would borrow someone's scale and that person, then weigh on both scales.

14. AjaMichelle

AjaMichelle Elite Member

I'll try to do that! Finding someone else with a scale might prove difficult.

15. CentriRitanni

Nonsense! Finding someone to admit they own a scale is the tricky part. ;)

16. AjaMichelle

AjaMichelle Elite Member

17. CentriRitanni

Well if you find yourself suddenly in ownership of the proper supplies, it would be a good update. :) Ironically, I have 3 bathroom scales, haha.

EDIT: Out of curiosity, how clean are his sheds? Mostly one piece or a lot of chunks?

Last edited: Aug 18, 2012
  18. AjaMichelle

AjaMichelle Elite Member

His sheds are perfect! :) They're either in one complete piece or two complete pieces. :)

He just finished eating! :)

P8170365.jpg

F4BA8C98-5760-41D0-9FF5-4B29289EB158-130-000000074B57B4D2.jpg

D0634302-78A6-4E24-B6C9-68295AF4D27A-130-0000000777A35CD1.jpg

76A6490E-7204-45A3-84D0-192B913FAADB-130-000000079E22661C.jpg

061C8633-E057-4AFF-987A-C5F61F6A42A5-130-00000007BFB6097F.jpg

62021800-3E7F-400F-AFDC-57EB1CC7D610-130-00000007D302DE4F.jpg

19. CentriRitanni

Love it! :) So jealous! That's the main thing I miss about snakes; I love playing with the shed.

20. JoeyG

JoeyG Subscribed User Premium Member

The rabbit looks like a good size for him and he seems fine Aja. I've tried to keep schedules but now I'm just going by their behaviour and feeding when they seem ready. I think you've done well with him :)