This Disappears When Logged In

Burm eggs

Discussion in 'Burmese Pythons' started by Harmony Herps, Jun 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarkMagician207

DarkMagician207 Elite Member

thats awesome. :)

2. MRHickey

MRHickey Elite Member

I regards to the light thing, I did research while in school on marine reptilian breeding and development, as well as terrestrial counterparts, and the light is not actually the problem, it is the direct heat that comes and goes with the lights. When directly in light, they generate heat quickly, and when the light is taken away they cool rapidly which can stunt and kill embryos. Hence the purpose of nests in the wild, consistency of a warm environment consistant with the proper humidity according to the herp. Room lighting should have minimal effect, it should not generate enough heat, and a lot of icubators for eggs are heated with lights that are set to maintain a constant temperature. A lot of the lighted icubators are filteredor use dull colors so that the animals don't hatch to a sunrise in their eye, that would disorient and violently stress the animal. Light for most hatchling animals, be it reptile, mammal, or any others is all about temperature because for predation reasons, they cannot be functioning in bright light, they are out in early morning and dusk when it is still warm, but sight predators can't find them as easily, they bask when the coast is clear in bright light.

I don't know if that helped at all, but I think i read the same article that started this debate in a husbandry journal somewhere, but it may have been short quoted in another article blaming the light as the culprit, and not completing the article. There are a lot of misquotes from science journals because they are long, boring, and not necessarily user friendly.

The snakes are beautiful, good luck with the new additions.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.