This Disappears When Logged In

Burlap Wrapped Wood

Discussion in 'Cage Furniture - Accessories' started by jterek, Jul 21, 2013.

1. jterek

jterek Active Member

I am finishing up my iguana cage and was wondering if I wrap burlap around 2x4 would it be safe. I am trying to make some nice climbing areas for him. To get big enough logs is just hard to find. That is why I was going to use 2x4 seal it and wrap in burlap. Thanks in advance.

2. MoskiWoski

MoskiWoski Elite Member

Sounds like it would be fine. I use hemp rope and haven't had any problems.

3. Runningmom

Runningmom Elite Member

I was thinking I may try burlap. May take less time to wrap then rope in the enclosure I have. Inside mine is a huge climbing structure which a baby bearded dragon could easily get hurt on. So I have to wrap it with something. Burlap is probably ok I am guessing.

4. mayhmmaydn

mayhmmaydn Elite Member

Make sure neither of them have been treated with Mold retardant or oils. you can usually smell it if it has or wash it first to be sure. :) May

5. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Two problems. The burlap will grow mold. The second problem, the weave in burlap is very loose and it will be seriously prone to getting toes tangled in it.
    Try wrapping grass rope around the 2x4s.

6. MoskiWoski

MoskiWoski Elite Member

Is grass rope and hemp rope one in the same? I know in my younger years the two words were synonymous.

7. jterek

jterek Active Member

I think I am going to try indoor/outdoor carpet. Is that safe? I looked up grass rope and it says a rope made of any vegetable other than cotton.

8. CryHavoc17

CryHavoc17 Elite Member

I've had sucess using indoor outdoor carpet in my ig cage. I use it on my basking platforms

9. jterek

jterek Active Member

Looked for grass rope merlin no success. Cryhavoc17 do you use the plastic style or the more like carpet style/soft style.

10. mayhmmaydn

mayhmmaydn Elite Member

No they aren't the same thing . hemp is from the hemp plant its processed fibers which are then twisted into a cord or rope. Grass is usually a type of sea grass or thin grasses that are dried and processed much the same way but different plants. This can be used in industrial packing where chemicals are involved because they are cheaper to produce and biodegrade. A lot of them are also now made for the craft trade. Just make sure if youre picking it up at lowes or something like that , that it hasn't been treated.
    May

11. mayhmmaydn

mayhmmaydn Elite Member

check for sea grass or beargrass twine. I have found it on EBAY before. also check places that sell florist supplies. May

12. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

The grass rope is also called sisal.

13. jterek

jterek Active Member

Thanks merlin. I found that on Lowes website. Now that gives me another option.