This Disappears When Logged In

Bullfrogs

Discussion in 'Amphibian - General' started by subiechic05, Oct 26, 2011.

1. subiechic05

subiechic05 Member

I am a new mother of two juvenile bullfrogs. Any advice to help give them the best environment, please help me!!

2. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

here is a good care sheet for basic bullfrog care. I don't know what kind of bullfrog you have specifically. The only thing i would disagree with this caresheet is the tank size. They need lots of room. I would suggest for the two of them, no smaller than a 55 gallon tank.

Amphibian Care >> Leopard Frog (Rana pipiens and R. utricularia) Care

3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I suspect the reason for the tank size discrepency is the care sheet is for leopard frogs which are considerably smaller than bullfrogs.

Though the basic habitat will be the same.

4. bucher70

bucher70 Elite Member

Just a thought, I dont think its a good idea to keep two bull frogs together, They eat EVERYTHING! So I would be concerned about cannabilism, not to mention fighting.

5. schlegelbagel

Frogs don't fight, and as long as they are roughly the same size, you don't have to worry about cannibalism.

6. bucher70

bucher70 Elite Member

Are you 100% sure on that? The american bullfrog is extremly territorial, and do have tooth like projections in thier mouths that can cause lacerations.

I know little about most species of frogs, but have heard of aggressive behaviour in these guys.
    Ill be doing a little more research on this.

7. schlegelbagel

I haven't heard of anyone having problems with frogs and aggression problems, doesn't mean it doesn't ever exist.

8. Pumapard

Pumapard Elite Member

Not to be rude or anything i just wanted to say that some types of frogs do fight, for example some of Dart Frogs "wrestle" over territory.

9. bucher70

bucher70 Elite Member

I have also read this myself. It was an article in reptile magazine about their care. I dont see why they would be any different than any other animal, when it comes to territory that is.
    It seems that in regards to most animals, in the wild, injury isnt a big problem, because the subordinate animal flees. In the captive enviroment, there is limited space for retreat, so the dominant animal continues to attack.

10. geckograndma

geckograndma Well-Known Member

I have seen bullfrogs fight, and while I hope no one was hurt it is one of the funniest things I have ever seen.

11. schlegelbagel

perhaps because all my captive keeper friends have more than ample space for their frogs, they have no issues? I dunno.

12. bucher70

bucher70 Elite Member

Thats a good point. There are keepers that keep male lizards with one or two females together with no conflict, but like you said, space has alot to do with it.