This Disappears When Logged In

Bullfrog - Scared of Crickets

Discussion in 'Amphibian - General' started by ltdead, Jun 21, 2011.

1. ltdead

ltdead Member

So - I've had a small bullfrog for a while now - since she was a tadpole. I'd been feeding her primarily mealworms, and sometimes I fed her these roaches my former landlady bred for her reptiles. She's getting rather large for mealworms, though, so I went and got some crickets today. I've been avoiding them, because I'm not a fan of the singing. (It's silly, I know. I own parrots! And I don't want singing crickets).

Well - turns out Jhermy is /terrified/ of the crickets. I know she should be hungry - it's been about 2 days since I fed her. But she's hunkered down in the corner of her feeding-tank, and every time a cricket comes near, she shrinks back even further, retracting her eyes.

...what on earth do I /do/?! How do I teach her to eat crickets? Do I just keep offering them until she gets hungry enough?

2. Mr. T

Mr. T Established Member

why bother trying? if you dont like the singing why not get a colony of dubia or hisser roaches? they are quite. dont stink and are really easy to breed. and youve said she is already eating roaches

3. ltdead

ltdead Member

Well - it's been months since she had the roaches, either. I'm worried she may not eat them now, either!

Not sure where to get roaches. Anyone know where they sell them in the San Jose area?

4. nateee04

nateee04 Well-Known Member

There are a couple of things that you can do that may make it better for your frog. You get smaller crickets, take the legs off the back of them that makes them hop, get tongs and see if he will eat them from there, feed your frog crickets with mealworms and whatever else he eats. Try putting the crickets in a little bowl or dish with or without mealworms. Did you try nightcrawlers, when I had bullfrogs they loved nightcrawlers. I hope he gets over his fears XD

5. Reed22

Reed22 Elite Member

feed earthworms also. if mealworms are too small, try giant mealworm which are little bigger or superworms which are way bigger.

6. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

what size are the crickets in comparison to her head? they may be too big.

Earthworms are great for bullfrogs to eat. you can get them cheap at any bait shop, even walmart sells them. Superworms are good too.

7. ltdead

ltdead Member

They're smaller than her head. She shouldn't have trouble eating them. I put her in with the tiniest of the crickets today - smaller than the mealworms she regularly eats - and she ignored those too.

Then again, when I added her mealworms, she only ate one of them. We're having a heat-wave (100-ish degrees, with no air conditioning here). Could that be throwing her appetite?

8. schlegelbagel

indeed it could.

9. ltdead

ltdead Member

Temp's dropped significantly - and she ate some of the crickets today. Phew! I stuck with the smallest ones, for now, to sorta... 'ease her into things.'

I've noticed... crickets seem to /reek/ compared to mealworms. Ugh. >.<

10. schlegelbagel

Crickets are STINKY. I hate them.

11. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Crickets are a a lot of work so they don't smell so bad, you have to remove any dead ones and keep their food and water source on the opposite side of the egg cartons. And clean up their droppings, which is a lot of work when you have 1000 crickets! I always kept mine in the basement, Dubias are so much easier, they don't have a short life cycle like crickets and they don't smell, Much cleaner too.
    Dubias all the way!

12. Swimmer522

Swimmer522 Elite Member

haha if your house/apt. mates would even allow them in the house.. which mine dont but my meal worms are doing just fine and I check on them alteast every other day to make sure the carrots aren't going moldy... cause mine do for some reason even though there is great ventilation