This Disappears When Logged In

Bull Snakes.

Discussion in 'Colubrids *General*' started by Creepshow, Jun 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Creepshow

Creepshow Well-Known Member

Hi there. I'm getting a bull snake tomorrow, it's at about two feet now, so can anyone give me at least a general idea of how old it might be? Also I would really appreciate if someone could tell me how fast they grow, since I can not find any info about their growth rate on the web...
    Thank you.

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

There is no reliable way to judge age by size. The growth rate depends on the type of care it recieves.

3. Creepshow

ok, thank you... but how fast will it grow, given that right now at's about 30 inches and I'm feeding it 2 fuzzy mice a week?
    P.S. it's a female, if that matters...
    oh, and by the way, can anyone tell me if they are climbers or not? can't seem to find any helpful info on that, and the only one i did find said to put rocks in the enclosure. should i have a climbing branch or something of sorts (shelf or vines)?

4. Merlin

Bullsnakes, particularly young ones, will climb a bit so if the size of the enclosure allows it, branches will be fine and will be utilized. A rock or two is ok though not necessary. The main decor requirements are a couple of hiding spaces one on the cool end and one on the warm end.
    The growth rate will depend on what and how often they are fed.

Also at 30 inches you should step up your feeder size. You should be feeding a prey item about as big as the snakes body at the widest point. At 30 inches your bullsnake could consuming adult mice and I would personally go up to rat pups since as an adult it will need rats (or a large number of mice) at a feeding.

5. Creepshow

thank you for the reply. I already found out that they are climbers, at least mine is, she's super active, and as soon as I put the branch in, she seems to have fallen in love with the **** thing... lol
    about the feeding, though... I really don't think it would be able to get a rat pup down it's throat, maybe a hopper mouse at the most, since she's actually not thicker (or a very slightly thicker) then the fuzzy mouse... I just gave her three fuzzies, and she seemed to like those...

6. Merlin

After feeding do you see a noticeable lump?
    Snakes will surprise you with what they can swallow.

7. Azfishfool

Azfishfool Active Member

when I got my jungle carpet they were feeding it hopper mice three weeks later its on small rats, its neck if you will is about as big around as my my middle finger. it will probably suprise you what it can take just move up in steps

8. Creepshow

Thanks for the reply, although I really doubt I'd be surprised by what snakes can swallow, I've had snakes for a few years, (including vipers back in the days). yes, she does get a bump in her mid-section, that's how I usually tell if the meal is sufficient.
    the only reason a started asking questions about her is because I've never had a bull snake and there is not a sufficient amount of information on them on the web, sadly. so lucky me - there are forums like this, which, I think, is more helpful then quite a number of sites out there.
    thanks to everyone.

9. Creepshow

Another thing that does really worry me is that the snake has something that looks like scale rot. I've read a few articles about it as well as looked it up on the web. the trouble is that my snake has it on her head, as opposed from what I've read that snakes are usually getting it on their bellies. it might be some other sort of infection I'm not aware of.
    and I can't seem to upload any pictures here... :(

10. Merlin

11. Creepshow

ok, thanks a lot.. well here they are, but the quality sucks, can't seem to get a decent photo with my camera...
    it sort of looks like a scab, like when you scrape a knee or something... she also has the same thing on her side, but it's three times smaller then the one on her head, and has two or three tiny spots on her belly...

Attached Files:

12. Merlin

It looks more like an injury or maybe a burn.
    Is this a wild caught snake or a purchase?
    Has it shed since you have had it?

13. Creepshow

I have been told that it is a captive bred snake, I only got it yesterday...

14. David McConley

David McConley Elite Member

Merlin, once again you beat me to it. I was going to say it looks like a burn scar, like maybe the previous owner had a heat rock or an unprotected bulb too close to the snake.

15. Creepshow

so should I just wait for the snake to shed, or treat that spot somehow?

16. David McConley

If the wound appears to be "weeping" having clear "pus" draining from it or if it is not healing/ closing on it's own, I would put a little triple antibiotic ointment on it. You should be able to tell more once it does shed( being a young snake, it should shed pretty frequently anyway but if it is a burn it will shed frequently also). The shedding process is the snake's attempt to heal itself and each time it sheds,IF the burn/wound is not too bad or deep the scarring should lessen. If the burn or wound is bad or deep you may want to take the snake to a good herp vet.

17. Merlin

Yep, What David said!

18. Creepshow

thanks a lot to all of you, guys... apparently it is most likely a burn, since I e-mailed a guy who I got the snake from and he said he used a heat rope instead of lamp to keep the snake warm... :(

19. David McConley

You are welcome. Good luck with her and keep us posted and post lots of pics.

20. Creepshow

will do... as soon as I figure out how to work the settings on my wife's camera... lol

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.