This Disappears When Logged In

Building Materials For Savannah Enclosure

Discussion in 'Monitors' started by LindsayMak, Sep 12, 2017.

1. LindsayMak

LindsayMak Member

I'm tentatively meeting with a friend later this week to start planning Spike's new 8x4x4 enclosure. I must admit that while I've been looking into this since my boyfriend first acquired him last month (I've had him for a little over a week), I'm feeling so overwhelmed. I know *nothing* about carpentry and my builder knows even less about the requirements of my reptilian friend. The enclosure is being built in my basement where Spike resides so there are no worries about it being too heavy. I'm assuming my friend will know enough about basic building to give it the proper skeleton, so to speak, but as for the actual walls, what kind of material is recommended? I know to stay away from melamine and I've read other threads on here advocating for fiber reinforced plastic but I'm not clear on if that is to make the actual wall or to affix to the wood as an additional layer.

Also, I've read in other threads here that it's recommended to keep the lighting inside the enclosure, I take to maintain humidity? I'm sure my friend won't have an issue installing the interior lighting but what safety measures do I need to account for to make sure Spike doesn't access the lights and burn himself or pull them down? Do they go in cages or something?

Thirdly, I haven't seen too many pros and cons on different door types. Thoughts? Mainly I've considered a sliding glass door or an upward opening latched door.

Thanks!

2. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

LindsayMak likes this.
  3. LindsayMak

LindsayMak Member

Thanks! I've actually gone over that site previously and it does have a lot of good information on elements of the habitat. When I click the hyperlink to "enclosure" or follow the links to "Housing and Cages" I'm redirected to a nonexistent site, though. I'm not seeing information on there regarding the specifics on carpentry

4. LindsayMak

LindsayMak Member

I did look back over the care sheet for Savannahs posted on this site and I guess it mostly answers my question about building material. I think when I first read it I wasn't mentally accepting plywood as being a suitable/strong enough building material and disregarded it but upon seeing examples of how it's used with a frame and such, it makes more sense. I'm still curious about the lighting as I'd hate to have it installed in a way that would allow Spike to get into it.

5. kriminaal

Hmm, I see what you mean.
    He's probably running out of money to keep the site up or is making changes.
    I'll check in my photos and see what I can show you.

6. kriminaal

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG] [​IMG]

You need to keep the lamps down from the top or you;ll cook off the humidity by having to use 100 watt bulbs

murrindindi and LindsayMak like this.
  7. kriminaal

IMG_1632.jpg
    False ceiling with electrical wiring above
    IMG_1549-1.jpg

murrindindi and LindsayMak like this.
  8. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Kriminaal already gave you a lot of good info, just wanted to let you know, the FRP board is used over top of the plywood to create a durable and moistureproof barrier. Oh, and I know it seems like it would be an issue having hot basking bulbs exposed, but the reality of it is that having them caged just gives the monitor something to hang onto. What your trying to avoid is have them be able to get into constant contact with the hot bulbs.

kriminaal and LindsayMak like this.
  9. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, the site is down, I don`t think it will return. Have you seen the enclosures here at Herpcenter?

10. LindsayMak

LindsayMak Member

No, I wasn't able to find much of what I was looking for on the forums but I'm still very new to navigating the site, and admittedly was doing my research here in the middle of the night. I did find one post here in the Monitor forum where a lady (I think) gave some details about an enclosure she had built. Between looking at her photos and reading the descriptions on the caresheet I think I was able to get a good idea of what I'm doing. I'm tentatively going to put together an 8x4x4 enclosure out of plywood encasing an insulated frame supported by 2x4s and reinforcing/protecting the inside with FRP. Kriminaal sorted me out on the lighting in theory. I'll just have to figure out the number and placement of lamps to get the right temperatures.
    I'm starting construction tomorrow evening on my indoor tortoise enclosure as I had to bring mine in from the cold and they're now too large for their previous indoor set up. While I'm getting those supplies I hope to at least get some of the 2X4s to start Spike's framing. I have a sinking suspicion my builder is flaking out on me so I might be doing a lot more of this on my own. Thankfully my boyfriend, who I acquired Spike from to begin with, is apparently handy with woodworking so hopefully he can lend a hand on things I totally don't understand, like putting a door on the thing. Everything else I think I can do (in theory) assuming I can give some sad eyes to the people at the hardware store and have them cut all my materials just right.

11. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

12. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Give me 10 minutes I`ll try and find a step by step framing guide....

13. kriminaal

Not enough lights in this one if you ask me. But some good ideas.

Also, search youtube by username infernalis1.

murrindindi likes this.