This Disappears When Logged In

Building Insulation And Climate Control

Discussion in 'General Construction' started by PSCO, Aug 5, 2015.

1. PSCO

PSCO Member

Hi,

I'm going to be moving my reptiles to my garage. I need to insulate and climate control the space for four seasons. Has anybody here done this before? I'm looking for ideas and advice. The space is 30x40x14.

Thanks in advance,
    PSCO

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

A lot of the specifics will depend on where you are and the weather there.

3. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

The insulation in your garage is going to be determined by the walls. I am going to guess the walls are 2x6 construction? R19 Faced batt insulation is the go-to for walls that are 2x6 construction. You can use any quality thermometer to manage climate control. All the thermometer will be doing is reading the ambient temp and allowing power to your heat source when the temp falls below where you set it. You will want to insulate the ceiling as well. Heat rises and will be lost at the ridge. If there isn't a ceiling and you can see the roof interior, you may want to consider tossing in some strapping to rest the insulation on and then toss up some drywall. The smaller the room, the easier it is to heat. (It will be cheaper too.)

4. PSCO

PSCO Member

Hi Merlin,

As stated, I live in a state that has all four seasons. In the summers, it has been known to sometimes reach 100. In winter it can but rarely does hit 40 below.

Hi Rich,

The walls are currently aluminum with studs. You can see the roof interior. What is strapping?

Thanks for the replies,
    PSCO

5. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

You are going to need some exhaust fans likely for the summer to pull some of the heat out. A base temperature of 100 is too high.
    I know with my garage, once it warms up in the summer it takes forever to cool off.
    That is unless you plan to run an air conditioner. In that case the insulation Rich suggested will really help keep it cool as well.

6. PSCO

PSCO Member

Hi, Kriminaal,

I plan to run air conditioning. I figure two units on opposite sides will be efficient enough with the insulation. Do you feel that would work well?

Thanks,
    PSCO

7. PSCO

PSCO Member

On second thought, it may be prudent to have air circulating anyway so it doesn't become stagnant and the smell of bedding/animal doesn't become overwhelming.

8. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

I would run a single air conditioner one that is suitable for a two-room size so it's not always running. Keep in mind you will need to seal it off well in the winter. Likely a whole removal off the unit.

9. PSCO

PSCO Member

Thank you for your response. That makes sense.