This Disappears When Logged In

Building CWD Enclosure...First Build!

Discussion in 'General Construction' started by KiaCwd, May 29, 2014.

1. KiaCwd

KiaCwd Member

Hey all, so my boyfriend and I are converting a furniture cabinet into an enclosure for Kia (our CWD), my first question is the polycrlyic that will be used to "waterproof" the wood - is this supposed to go on the inside as well? Sorry if this is a dumb question - just don't want to kill him!

I'll attach pictures when we get it inside later today.

2. jaydsr2887

jaydsr2887 Elite Member

yes, the polycrylic is to be used inside the cage, but air it out before introducing your dragon..... and how big (the dementions) is the cabinet? as water dragons (adults) need a cage that is 5-6 ft tall by 3-4 ft deep by 4-5 ft wide..... just where the dragon will be in at... not including the base and legs.....

3. KiaCwd

KiaCwd Member

It's 6ft tall x 3.5ft deep and 3.5ft wide. Not as big as we wanted to go, but it's what we could find that would fit our budget. Our plan is to put a 55g aquarium at the base of the enclosure to create a swimming area. Thus he will have about 4ft of climbing room. Will that be sufficient?

4. jaydsr2887

jaydsr2887 Elite Member

sounds great for right now, but i wont keep it for an adult enclosure.... and the 55 gallon tank is great! more then enough room to swim around i would also look into buying guppies to put in it as they love to chase fish around to eat....... but as an adult he will need more climbing space though.... what are you doing for lights?

5. KiaCwd

KiaCwd Member

Awesome, I like the guppy idea. As far as lights go, we're thinking of using a Reptisun T5 HO 10.0 or 5.0, not sure which one would be best. Also not sure if we should stick with the same dome heat lamp that he's got now or go with a CHE? Which would be best?

Also wanting to make a textured background for the enclosure thinking of using Great Stuff Foam - will this be ok once dried, or will it be toxic? Thanks

6. jaydsr2887

jaydsr2887 Elite Member

alot of people use the lights you mentioned and i honestly thing that if you do not want to cut extra holes in your top then i would go with a mercury vapor bulb or use a radiant heat panel.... and as far as great stuff foaming spray it is not toxic one dry but there isnt really much to do with it unless you feel like cutting into and carving into it with a razor blade, which is a pain in the behind lol..... if you want something easier to manage and you dont need to cut into as much and can manage the shape better the i would use the styrofoam sheet board.......

7. KiaCwd

KiaCwd Member

image.jpg image.jpg
    Here are some pictures of the build so far.

What do you guys use to heat aquariums? What should the water temps be?

8. jaydsr2887

jaydsr2887 Elite Member

for aquariums, you use a regulare aquarium heater, and heat it to about 75-80 degrees....... but a vivarium if thats what you are refering to, tou can use ceramic heat emitters, a mercury vapor bulb (is good because it emitts heat, UVB, and UVA white light), or a radiant heat panel, and if you still have trouble you can always add a small space heater..... and the temperature needs to be between 80-85 degrees day time, and 75-80 night time...... and humidity should be between 80-85% and can be done with your aquarium and if you still have trouble you can always add a rigged up cool mist humidifier with a hose to go into your cage set on a schedule to go off at certain times....

Last edited: Jun 2, 2014
  9. KiaCwd

KiaCwd Member

Thank you. I'm looking into a heater for the aquarium part of the viv, we've already cut the holes for the UVB and heat lamp. Have to wait until Wednesday to do more on it, but so far it's looking pretty good. Kia is going to love his/her new home. I'll post some more pictures once we've got some more done to it. Thanks for all the help.

Also we're going to put in a waterfall that leads to the tank at the bottom, anyone have any ideas on how to best do it?

10. jaydsr2887

jaydsr2887 Elite Member

i would just use styrofoam and use liquid nail and build a lip on a side and use more styrofoam to make fake rocks and build it up and glue them in place and grout it and paint it all and use aquarium grade silicone to seal it all... but make sure you have a place for the pump though, alot of people who do this create a box on the outside with holes for the hoses.... but make sure it is strong enough as the dragon will use the bathroom in the water and it can clog your filter/pump... here is a better way to show the process of the building process.... Lizard care, and fake rock wall landscapes

11. KiaCwd

KiaCwd Member

We made quite a bit of progress today. Tomorrow will consist if sealing and starting the rock background as well as the waterfall. Here are some pictures of the enclosure so far.

image.jpg

12. KiaCwd

KiaCwd Member

Don't know why that turned out upside down hopefully this is better
    image.jpg

13. jaydsr2887

jaydsr2887 Elite Member

looks nice and will be big i can see.....

14. KiaCwd

KiaCwd Member

Update: We've finished grouting the styrofoam and are now in the process of painting and starting the waterfall. Hopefully Kia will be enjoying his new home next week! Thanks so much to everyone who has helped.