This Disappears When Logged In

Building a Life Long Terrarium for a Green Iguana

Discussion in 'HH General Discussion' started by IrishIguana, May 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IrishIguana

IrishIguana Member

Mojo, my green iguana, is about a year and a half old and she is about two feet now. She doesn't necessarily need the new home tomorrow or even next week but I want to on it as soon as possible. I would like to build something about 6 feet tall, 4 feet long and about 2-3 feet deep. when its finished I want to get her a "repti-fogger" or at least i think that's what its called, and have it humidify the middle of the it really well. of course I will need ventalation holes on the sides so I don't bake her right? I am undecided on how to do the doors and how to do the top because the top will have to be able to hold the lights up and be able to sustain the constant heat. I don't want to do any screen for the doors, she already rubs her nose on the cage she's in now too much and its really sad. :(

I'm open to any and all suggestions and need to knows

2. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

First, its not big enough. We suggest 4 x 4 x 6 feet.

And don't waste your time with a fogger. They break down and are unreliable. For that size space, pick up a human, cool mist humidifier, for $30 at any drug store.

Just think of building a big wooden box with a door on the front. One of our members actually used a storm door for their front, and built their box to suit. You can install the lights right on the inside of the box. Wood insulates and you would have to get it up to 400 degrees for it to start burning. Some simple vents from the hardware store is all you need. Get the adjustable kind.

3. Moshpitrockchick

Moshpitrockchick Subscribed User Premium Member

I used windows from a storm door for my cage and put them on tracks so they slide open. The top is solid wood except for a narrow screen area where the lights sit.

[​IMG]

4. IrishIguana

IrishIguana Member

Ok cool, I will remember that, thanks for the ideas guys. I never thought about the humidifier, that's a good idea.

5. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

I have a 4x4x2.5 temporary enclosure for my CWD and I have a cool mist humidifier inside running 24/7 on low. It runs for about 2-3 days when filled full and keeps a nice humidity gradient (39-44 under the basking light and 77-84 at the pond, lows are when it's sunny here which isn't often :p;))

6. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

Members here are full of great and nifty ideas.
    So don't be afraid to post any further questions you might have on your new enclosure.
    You are smart to begin planning for it now.

7. IrishIguana

IrishIguana Member

ya I wanted to do a lot of planning for it first because I want to keep it for the rest of the iguanas life and then some :)
    what kind of screen should I use on the top? like a metal chicken wire type?

8. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

NO chicken wire. It will cut off toes!
    What you want is called welded wire. Something like this
    welded wire mesh

1 inch by 1/2 inch will do the job nicely.

9. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

Wouldn't hardware cloth work also?

10. Merlin

It would but it is not a durable and if there is any weight on it, it will sag. The welded wire is extremely sturdy and will hold up much better.

11. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

Ohhhhh, I get it now :)

12. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

the welded stuff is what we use for zoo enclosures, but ours is coated in epoxy, because it would cause burns after heating up in the Florida sun. I think the typical stuff used for our herps is 1"x1/2" 16g Epoxy coated Stainless. That stuff is a trick to cut, but well worth it.

13. Merlin

The easiest way to cut it, unless you have access to a squaring shear, is with a dremel cutting disc.
    Unless you have muscles in your hands like Arnold Schwarzeneggar and want to go the tin snips route!

14. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

we did use the tinsnips, even though I have a dremel. Didn't think to use that. I made Grey do it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.