This Disappears When Logged In

Building a Cage

Discussion in 'Common/Red Tail Boa' started by william snakespear, Apr 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. william snakespear

william snakespear New Member

Hello I have a red tail boa and the cage he has right now is not really that great for him. I was thinking about making the dimentions 5'x18"x18". and using wood for the bottom, back and frame and plexi glass for the sides and front with the front being the door also, and wire mesh for the top of the cage to place heat lamps on top. I was wondering if anyone has any comments if they have done anything like this or have seen anything like this or what you would do different or any ideas for a cage that you may have! I was also thinking of using pea rocks for the bedding as an easy clean up and I have seen it in a few places before. any information or criticism is very much appriciated =)

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Don't use gravel! Its too heavy, and will make cleaning a major event!

People are so used to seeing aquariums with screen tops, that is the image that sticks in their mind. Make the cage a solid box with air vents. This will enable you to control the heat and humidity much better.
    And I would make the entire thing out of wood and use a glass front for viewing. This will reduce the cost of the enclosure.
    My Boa cage is 4'x2'x18'. The only thing I would change is to make the door different.
    That swing down door is a pain!
    [​IMG]

3. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

My boa is in a 48"x24"x24", and it's pretty solidly made of wood. The guy who made it lined it with tile (ceramic on the bottom, linoleum on the sides and ceiling - cleanup is a breeze!) and it has sliding doors, which are very convenient.

The ceramic tile does add some weight, though I would strongly advise you look into linoleum, they make many natural looking stone-pattern (including some very nice marble patterns in various colors.) and you can even get the stuff as a stick on tile for about 88 cents. very worthwhile.

4. bethany

bethany Elite Member

My boa is in a 6x3x3 cage and I made it out of wood and wire. Id go with Merlins suggestion though on making it out off all wood because I have so many heaters just to keep her temps up its maddening! I will most likely be closind in the sides and top soon to eliminate all those heaters and wires. You could look in my thread Neds New Floor to get and idea of what I have done, maybe that will help. Alos vinyl/linoleum flooring works FANTASTIC both in clean up and looks,and is pretty cheap at home depot. I have lots of pics on my profile. Hope this helps and good luck!

5. william snakespear

thank you everyone this is going to help a lot. I really didn't even think of how much keeping the top closed in would help with the humidity and that would be a life saver lol. and that's a really good tip with the linoleum and I think I will be doing that now, I love the way that it looks in your page bethany its very nice. I'm still about two months away from starting the construction on it and now I think I will be a lot more confident with it. the cage that he has right now is 4'x2'x3' which is way bigger than need be for right now with his size (about 1 1/2 feet, still a baby, cant wait untill he gets to be larger =D) but i think i will keep it and just have it for outside for the nicer days so he can get some sun and i dont have to watch him every second. but I don't really like the cage since it is mainly mesh and is hard to keep the temp up and keep it humid. thank you all very much though =)

6. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Do not put an animal in a glass cage outside in the sun! It will get too hot and cook your pet!

7. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Glass cages heat up in the sun a lot like cars do.

8. bethany

bethany Elite Member

I am glad you like it William I really am pleased with it too. Good luck picking out some fun stuff for your tank. Before its all set up the possibilities are endless and its such a fun time in the Home Depot or where ever :)

9. Aalamil

Aalamil Elite Member

Bethany inspired me....Just did the cage in linolieum(sp) Hope the smell of that glue is okay.....

10. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

if in doubt, let it dry up to 48 hours.

11. william snakespear

Yeah I know, the cage that he has now doesn't have glass but it is made out of mesh and for the mean time has cardboard around most of the sides to help keep in the heat/humidity. but good looking out ;) In other news I went to home depot yesterday and spent a total time of about 4 hours figuring out what items I want to use as well as finding some new things that I think will work great with it. and now I am trying to finish up the last of the specs and measurements for the cage and hopefully very soon will start the process! :D

12. Aalamil

Aalamil Elite Member

good luck and post some pics when you get it built, always looking for new designs here

13. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

We also like the "under construction" pics ;)

14. leslielenee

leslielenee Elite Member

A great 'until then' idea is:
    if you have ordered from and kept the thin insulation from cold wrap boxes like Rodent Pro. I have lined all of my tanks with it until a wooden cages are made...Works like a charm and is good dimensions for just about any sized tanks...

15. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

insulation is pretty cheap at hardware stores too - gigantic sheet of the pale blue stuff runs about $11, and would be enough to cover most cages. In a pinch, unused quilts can be used too (I've done that!) towels and such.

16. GoffReptiles

GoffReptiles Well-Known Member

Def no plexiglass. It will fail you in heat and humidity. I used to build cages, but now my snakes live in vision cages, so they can stack and they are super easy to clean and they slide open in the front... But, to each his own.

17. bethany

bethany Elite Member

Dragoness that is a brillant idea with the insu;ation board!! Thanks for giving me a great reason to go to Home Depot.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.