This Disappears When Logged In

Build Up of Tortoise Box

Discussion in 'Tortoises' started by Spikethetortoise, Feb 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lucysfriend

Lucysfriend Elite Member

Wow Merlin nice save!

2. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

way to go! If only more people would shut down places like that!

3. Spikethetortoise

Spikethetortoise Active Member

Yea nice save...I did a similar thing at my local pet store but the sales girl wasn't involved...they were interested in purchasing a potentially huge fish and I talked them out of it. Again with the small place it will stay small.

4. Whatshername

Whatshername Elite Member

I stopped a couple at petsmart who were looking at getting a chinese water dragon. I first pointed out the sign saying that their adult size is 40" Then told them cage dimensions

5. Spikethetortoise

So update on the cage build-up...sorry to interupt the stupid people bashing. Heres a pic of the ramp we made that leads up to the second floor.

Attached Files:

6. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

looks good. It's hard to see in the picture, but what did you use for traction? I can't tell what it is.

7. Kendalle

Kendalle Elite Member

it looks like screen of some sort to me.

8. Spikethetortoise

Its a plastic mesh that we also used for the top. Makes perfect traction for spike

9. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I would be concerned that the tort might get his feet stuck in that mesh.
    A better approach might be to attach some 1/8-1/4 inch strips of wood, dowels or whatever, horizontally across the ramp.

I also am not sure that the plastic mesh use in the top is going to stand up to your lamp's heat. Might need to reconsider that.

10. Spikethetortoise

So far the mesh isn't melting or getting soft on top and its just inches from the heat lamp and as of right now his feet are way too small to get stuck in the mesh on the ramp, plus the ramp is just cardboard so wood strips might not work.

11. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

you may want to temp-check the ramp - though the plastic might not be melting, it may be getting very hot. You could also use shelf liner on the ramp, or repti-carpet, both would give traction, and could be attached with velcro so they could be removed for cleaning easily. You can get velcro with adhesive backing at wal*mart for under $5. Just a thought.

Ramp is cardboard? is there something under that to reinforce it? or am I missing something?

12. Spikethetortoise

Yea we have more cardboard that is rolled up underneath it, its sturdy enough for this tiny tort, and the plastic stays cool even right underneath the lamp so on the ramp wont have any problems either.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.