This Disappears When Logged In

Build Up of Tortoise Box

Discussion in 'Tortoises' started by Spikethetortoise, Feb 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spikethetortoise

Spikethetortoise Active Member

Ok here's a build-up of a 3 by 3 ft tortoise box that me and my roommate made for our Sulcata tortoise.

First we took our old bookself and flipped it on its back, that made for a 3 by 3 ft enclosure. We then went to Lowes and got three 1-in by 2-in by 6-ft lengths of maple wood and cut them into equal 3-ft lengths. We contructed a frame from these pieces that are gonna be for the top of the enclosure...to keep the cats out and to provide us a place to put lights. To make things easier on ourselves we laid the pieces on top of each other at the corners which also gives us a raised area to maybe put a clip-on light later on.

While we screwed in the corners we laid out a 3 by 3-ft section of plastic mess that had 1 by 1-in squares cut in it. We opted for this material because the mesh that's for screen doors is too fine and wouldn't allow as much light to get through to the tortoise. We used the screwing together of the frame to secure the mesh in place...though we are probably gonna staple it to the wood at some point.

We then put crossmembers in to make the frame more sturdy and to have a place to put a light.

We then added 4 small hinges on the bottom piece of frame and screwed the other side into the wood of the box itself.

Inside the box we took boxes of equal height and placed one of the old shelves along it for a high spot for the tortoise to climb up to. We are also gonna put a heat lamp up there to create a basking spot...I'll probably get that tomorrow. And were gonna make the ramps out of strudy cardboard with a raised area on one side to be used as a railing so the tortoise doesn't accidentally fall off and get stuck on its back and die.

The area under the raised area can be used as a sleeping/burrowing area for the tortoise even though we placed the old sleeping/burrowing area into the new enclosure. On one side of the enclosure we put a heating pad. So we've got a hot spot and a colder spot. Thats it so far.

Attached Files:

2. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Very cool. Thank you for sharing!

3. fire2225ems

fire2225ems Subscribed User Premium Member

That looks very cool! You might even be able to use another one of the shelves as your ramp. Get a couple more hinges and use those to secure it to the shelf. Then you could tack some shelf liner or even sisal down for traction.

4. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

Excellent recycling!

5. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Please tell me that's a temp cage?

Very good use of an old bookshelf. I'm considering (eventually) a small tortoise, nothing in the same range as a sulcata, so I'll definitely keep that idea in mind. I'm thinking nothing bigger than a red-foot.

6. Spikethetortoise

Oh yea, definitely a temp cage lol. I'll look into the shelf ramps with some hinges, it sounds like a good idea.

7. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Just out of curiosity, have you made any plans for the future?
    What are you going to do with him when he gets BIG!;)

8. Spikethetortoise

Hopefully i should have a bigger place than I'm in right now lol. I'm actually looking to get a job down in Arizona or New Mexico so if I had a house with a yard down there everything will be fine...but if I'm unlucky then I'll have to make a room/basement into a winter housing for him plus an outside summer place too.

9. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Just make sure that if he has an outdoor enclosure, it will not only keep him in, but keep other animals out. Dogs have been known to mess up tortoises pretty bad. 6 feet is not always tall enough to keep them out either.

10. Spikethetortoise

Thanks...noted.

11. nrfitchett4

nrfitchett4 Guest

12. Merlin

Yeah,..right.:rolleyes:

13. Spikethetortoise

I hope he was not being serious.

14. nrfitchett4

nrfitchett4 Guest

I'm sorry, I thought the pic would have given the sarcasm away.

15. Merlin

I got it!;)

16. Spikethetortoise

Lol, Yeah I wrote it then looked at the picture. drr.

17. Whatshername

Whatshername Elite Member

I had a friend who thought that about Waffles... yeah... I told him that, no, he would get big no matter where I put him. This is also the friend who thought it was crazy to spend the money to get a Hyacinth macaw because "It's a stupid little bird that will just die in a year" That bird is probably smarter than him, HUGE, and will outlive him. Idiot, lol

18. Spikethetortoise

lol, some poeple...

19. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Large macaws can live to be over 100. There are macaws still alive that belonged to Winston Churchill. Apparently, they still cuss like he did too.

People like that are responsible for a lot of neglect cases because of their being so misinformed. I rescued a Sav that was being housed in a 20 gallon tank. The owner thought it must be full grown after a year, so he had this 18 inch sav crammed into a 20 gallon tank. Ugh. She's living the sweet life at my zoo now, regular meals, room to stretch out, and lots of volunteers to take her on walks in the sun.

20. Merlin

Thats a common misconception that has been handed down as fact for far too many years.
    Often relayed to newcomers so that an unscrupulous dealer can sell an animal to someone who is totally incapable of dealing with it at the adult size!
    I interrupted one of those "deals" at a flea market stand.
    The proprietor was explaining to this kid and his father that keeping the baby CAIMAN:eek: in a 10 gallon tank would stunt it and it would never get any bigger!
    Of course words got exchanged and the proprietor informed me that, if I didn't leave, he was gong to call security on me!

I told him to bring it on!
    And while he was at make sure and bring the owner of the flea market too so that I could explain to him the facts concerning selling a potentially dangerous animal to a young child and the potential lawsuit that would be following.
    He backed down, and didn't make the sale.
    2 weeks later the market ran him off!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.