This Disappears When Logged In

Bugs in Crested Gecko Cage

Discussion in 'Invertebrates General' started by Alyssa8, Aug 28, 2012.

1. Alyssa8

Alyssa8 Active Member

Hi everyone. I posted a couple weeks ago about some little bugs in my crested gecko cage but i found out that they were probably spring tails (harmless). So recently Ive seen a different kind of little bug. Probably twice the size of the springtails and grey. They are like 2 mm, have wings and can jump it looks like. Could they be older spring tails? Im not sure if it is because of the really high humidity, soil in the cage, or because of the live plants. They are A LOT more noticeable than the springtails and sometimes when I open the cage and do something, I see them crawl on my hand. Also, lately I have seen one or two stuck in the crested gecko diet. I really hope they aren't a big deal and Im freaking out over nothing. I also just made part of the top of the cage screen for more ventilation just incase that was why they where there. I put my three crested geckos in a different cage for the time being. Does anybody know how i could be able to get rid of them or what i should do? I didnt add a picture because they are really small, but if that would help i could upload one.

2. pandorasbox

pandorasbox Elite Member

3. Alyssa8

Alyssa8 Active Member

Thank you so much, that seems like a really good idea.have you tried this?also,where could I get dry ice?would they have it at home depot?

4. pandorasbox

pandorasbox Elite Member

5. Alyssa8

Alyssa8 Active Member

This stuff is kind of hard to find. I called a bunch of different places near me with no luck. I told my mom about this and how we should get some dry ice, now she's freaking out and told me if she finds these bugs in the house, i will have to get rid of all my reptiles. She's not sold about the dry ice idea because she thinks its too dangerous. Would you happen to know of any other options for this other than the ice (just in case i cant convince her to get it)?

6. pandorasbox

pandorasbox Elite Member

Dry ice isn't dangerous if you are careful - never handle it with bare hands and don't breathe too much in or stay in an enclosed space with it. Another (less fun) option would be to remove all of the substrate and bake it or microwave it, then thoroughly clean it. A lot of food stuff is shipped in dry ice, so if you know someone who works in a grocery or a restaurant, they might be able to get ahold of it for you.

7. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

MAny larger grocery stores carry dry ice. Just ask them.
    You can also call your local ice dealers and check. Dry ice isn't that hard to find. you just have to look.