This Disappears When Logged In

Brumation?

Discussion in 'Burmese Pythons' started by Ipanda, Dec 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ipanda

Ipanda Elite Member

Do Burmese Pythons Brumate in captivity? I cant find anything in all of my books about it.... My Burm hasnt been eating since mid Nov... Any advice... The vet said shes healthy....

Thank you

2. DarkMagician207

DarkMagician207 Elite Member

i don't know about brumation but even though its not a python, my rosy boa goes off food from about august-september until like february or march. at first i had no idea what was going on and it drove me crazy but now i'm used to it and expect it. he's healthy and moves around during those times he just refuses food. now i know to expect it so i'm not worried. :)

3. Ipanda

Ipanda Elite Member

Thats really good to know... My corn snake and ball python do that as well, Just havent herd of a Burm (the garbage can snake) doing that yet... Ill just have to weigh her and offer food a bit less than what I normally do.... I took her to the vet for a check up... he said she was healthy as could be.... told me not to worry about it too much, but i was like wow... she is usually interested when the bunny is defrosting! Lol

4. titus

titus Elite Member Premium Member

Not feeding during winter seems to be a common thing among all pythons from a certain age on. Though I lower my cage temps for my Ball pythons to reflect their natural enviorment, the larger ones would stop feeding during the winter months even before I started lowering the temps. Even with lower temps. the younger pythons (under 1 year) continue to feed.

The only python I've had feed year round past the age of one year are carpets though this is most likely because in nature the don't experience a large drop in temps. so they are not used to giving up food. I find it to be most snakes from temperent regions will go off feed with drops in temps or without during the winter months. Aside from corns that continue to eat unless they are put under truly lowered temps.

5. Ipanda

Ipanda Elite Member

My corn isnt your typical corn... at all lol... last year he stopped eating, and hadnt eaten for 3 mos then i adopted him... He didnt eat again for another month or so... then the temps outside got warmer... and he ate... and ate... and ate... lol.... so far this winter he hasnt stopped, but has slowed down.... and I keep him at the same temp year round

6. DarkMagician207

DarkMagician207 Elite Member

my corn used to be a garbage can as well but since he's gotten older he has slowed down as well and sometimes only wants to eat every 2 weeks or so. my younger corn is still in garbage can mode though lol. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.