This Disappears When Logged In

Brumation and Constipation

Discussion in 'Herp Health' started by salmonella, Jan 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. venus

venus Founding Member

69 is too low. Try bumping it up to 75 or so. Romaine doesnt have a lot of nutritional value either and should only be fed once or twice a week. Your basking temps need to be at least 105 for proper food digestion.

You can buy a mega ray light which provides basking and proper UVB. You can read about it at Welcome To ReptileUV - Mega-Ray® UVB lamps for reptile lighting worldwide

2. salmonella

salmonella Active Member

Man, so he's gone without UVB for about 2 months!

Thanks a ton. So this seems like too much height for a beardie enclosure? Do you think he would be more comfortable with 20" than 36" height?

3. salmonella

salmonella Active Member

I thought it was hotter, but the hygro is only reading 97 F !

It seems cutting the height will make everything a lot easier/better!

I've placed him 7" from the UVB for right now. Do I need to add vitamin D to his food for a while?

4. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

No. The purpose of the UVB is to allow him to manufacture his own vit d. Too much vit d can be toxic.
    Personally I would go with the 20 inches. Or whatever the vertical halfway point of the enclosure would make it. Beardies are more terrestrial and need floor space more than height. This will also make heating the cage more efficient.

5. salmonella

salmonella Active Member

I think I will cut the height.

Will he be able to make a full recovery if he has developed some MBD?

6. Merlin

I doubt that its going to be irreversable in that short time.

7. salmonella

salmonella Active Member

thank you!

One more question. Is there a TOO CLOSE for UVB? I'm thinking about placing it laterally centered, above the bigger log. Should I go 8" above the top of the log?

8. salmonella

salmonella Active Member

side note - this is an odd coincidence - I've had the UVB close to him for under an hour - and he had a large movement! It HAS to be related!

9. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

Man, that would be a great water dragon enclosure with all that height.

8" from the top of the log will be good, IF he uses the top of the log. If he's not using the top of the log, then it has to be 8-10 inches from the floor.

Bump up those temps, and he will get a lot more active!

10. salmonella

salmonella Active Member

Thanks Liz,

How much time should he spend directly under the UVB each day?

11. Merlin

He can't get too close to a flourescent UVB tube as long as he can't break it.

12. salmonella

salmonella Active Member

Update: Cricket is a new lizard. I have to give all the credit to moving the UV bulb. We're so sad that we made him sick by accident.

The progress started within a day, but took several days for him to look completely healthy. He showed more vigor each day. AND a strange thing about his coloration...

Normally Cricket is a nice light beige color. His whole body appeared darker while he was sick. I feel crazy saying this, but it must be recorded. Dark Brown had started to cover his hind legs, starting at his feet. During his recovery, each day I saw less and less brown on his legs. It was like a tide moving back. It may have coincided with improved hind leg function. I think the brown was on his tail as well - and there is still some on the tip.

Does this make sense to anyone?

13. Merlin

Its good to hear that he is doing better.
    Its always a learning experience when you start out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.