This Disappears When Logged In

Brumation and Constipation

Discussion in 'Herp Health' started by salmonella, Jan 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. salmonella

salmonella Active Member

Hi,

Could someone describe a Bearded Dragon's NORMAL brumation behavior? This is our first beardie's first winter and we are nervous about his health.

He has been slowed down for a few weeks already. Specifically, he has hardly eaten in about 5 days and has not pooped in as much. Just yesterday, he showed a couple of hours of normal appearance and moved around a lilttle, but most of the time he is a darker color and just doesn't move.

Thanks

2. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

Beardies don't really brumate. What are the tank temps? Substrate, etc... How old is your UVB bulb?

3. salmonella

salmonella Active Member

OH! That is good to know.

Maybe the UVB is too old - or too far away (2ft). I made him a bigger tank and haven't finished... I've been wondering if the UVB is an issue. I'll try that first.

The temps are nice, I think. Substrate is commercial tile with GE silicone II. Walls are wood with polycrylic.

THANK YOU!

4. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Actually they will, just not in the manner that temperate snakes do.
    Mine will take periods in the winter where all they do is lay in their hides all day. Coming out to get a bite or two and then going back. Some days they don't even leave the hides.
    My female is doing this right now.

5. salmonella

salmonella Active Member

I just read this in the caresheet:
    Avocado, lettuce, rhubarb and spinach should all be avoided, as they contain oxalic acid, are toxic to bearded dragons, and are of poor nutritional value, causing problems such as diarrhoea.

I am having trouble discerning this sentence - Is this saying that all kinds of lettuce is TOXIC??

Also, we've been kind of lazy lately, and his greens have been mostly arugula lettuce. We avoid spinache.

We also give him occasional zucchini, yellow squash, cucumber. And rarely bell pepper, carrot, grapes, strawberry, raspberry.

thx for help

6. salmonella

salmonella Active Member

Merlin,

Do they go several days without pooping? He is down eating to 1 cricket some days. He is 11 months old.

I will still get him closer to the UVB (which is near 6 months old).

7. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

You should stop being lazy and pick up some collard greens. Lettuce has ZERO nutritional value.

2 feet is too far away for the UVB light. You need it at about 10 inches. Can you add something to the tank so the the dragon has the ability to get up to the light, or can you lower it in the tank? What type of light is it?

And you didn't post actual temps, basking, hot end, cool end.

8. Merlin

Lettuce is not toxic, its just nutritionally void!
    Its like feeding them water and styrofoam.

9. salmonella

salmonella Active Member

Ok, I thought some lettuces were better than others... is romaine bad?

So we can switch to give him primarily collards, mustard, bell pepper(green yellow red), zucchini.

My intention for the enclosure was to allow him to climb up closer to the UVB. Got delayed. Will try to add a net to climb onto... what kind of material is good/bad to use for the net?

Should I give him a warm swim to help with the pooping?

10. salmonella

salmonella Active Member

I just checked the meter - the cool end of the home goes from 69 to 90 degrees. Don't have a high measurement for the hot spot, tho.

11. Merlin

If little to nothing is going in,.. little to nothing is going to come out.
    Are you saying that it fluctuates that much or are you talking about night time vs day time temps?
    And it is essential that you know the warm end temp.

12. salmonella

salmonella Active Member

Just took some pics.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. salmonella

salmonella Active Member

It's the night/day min/max on the hygrometer. I'll move the hygro to the other end for a day.

14. Merlin

Is that flourescent the UVB source?

15. salmonella

salmonella Active Member

Top left fluorescent 7% UVB. Top right 150 W day lamp. Bottom left 75 W night lamp. Two vents on left, one on right.

16. salmonella

salmonella Active Member

We mist him daily, usually after eating.

He sleeps under the bigger log at night, hangs out on top of either log in the day. But he doesn't DO much at all this month.

17. Merlin

You have a problem. A flourescent UVB bulb only delivers UVB to a distance of 8-10 inches. Farther than that, nothing.
    You need to arrange a big branch or something that will get the animal much closer to the tube.

18. salmonella

salmonella Active Member

So the net is supposed to go from the second shelf to he opposite wall, under the hot lamp, a few inches from the bottom. It will be almost triangle shaped - wider at the top, a few inches wide at the bottom. It will hug the back wall. I have thought of this setup to avoid him being able to take a fall from up high. Does this seem reasonable?

Perhaps instead of a net, it might be better to have a board, covered with vines to cling to?

The entire unit is 36"w x 54"h x 20"d. The shelf is 20" high.

19. salmonella

salmonella Active Member

Do I even need to worry about preventing falls in this enclosure?

20. Merlin

I would go with something more solid than a net. I would be concerned that the dragon could get hung up in a net. Dragons aren't really all that great of climbers. If it was me I would extend the shelf on across the enclosure and use only the bottom of it and use the top for something else.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.