This Disappears When Logged In

Brown Snake Winter Treatment

Discussion in 'Colubrids *General*' started by Freihto, Dec 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Freihto

Freihto Elite Member

Alrighty... I caught a brown snake, who is roughly 13 inches long now, about 3 months ago, and I've been feeding him slugs and worms, mainly the slugs though. Now that winter is coming, i can no longer catch food for him, and I don't know where to buy slugs (preferably) or any other food sources. I've tried buying wax worms, but seems the pet stores fridge is too cold, because the past three times, they've been dead.. I've only successfully fed him a dead wax worm once by stringing it along to look as if it was alive, but this took far to long to make habit of. If anyone knows what i can purchase (relatively cheaply) to feed him without me having to string it along, please let me know :)

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

You could try commercially available earthworms. Check out Big Apple herp supply.
    Mulberry farms also caries a number of feeder insects.

3. Freihto

Freihto Elite Member

I sat with him for at least an hour. At first, he was fidgety, and scared, but after a while, he was fine with me handling him.

Once he calmed down, I got out a "Jumbo Panfish Worm" (which at full stretch were only ~4 inches long; shown in pictures) and he would look at them like he does all of his other meals, get up close, follow it, sniff it, etc. and then when I thought he was going to eat one.. he's slither away.

I let him be for a good 15 mins, then held him again. He was calm and content, yet still active (if active and calm can be used together). I then set him by his rock, and tried a smaller worm, exact same as last time...

It might just be the winter months messing with his brumation instinct, since he's wild and all, but he hasn't eaten (that i know of) in at least 2 weeks, when he usually eats twice a week.
    Any suggestions/observations?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

I don't know, but he's a cutie pie.

5. Freihto

Freihto Elite Member

heh, thanks liz

6. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Try not handling him the day of feeding. Just give him his intended dinner and see what happens.
    And you might bump the temps up a couple of degrees and see if that spurs his appetite.

7. Freihto

Freihto Elite Member

i totally forgot about this post, but i caught some slugs outside about a week ago when a warm front came through and thawed the ground, he ate them both (they were small, so i didn't overfeed him) and today he ate a small worm i found in the soil i brought in for my new tank, guess he just didn't like the smell of the panfish worms...

8. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

Picky brat.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.