This Disappears When Logged In

Brown Anoles. Mating Success. Photo Included.

Discussion in 'Anoles' started by MantidBro, Jan 14, 2017.

?

Is it alright to keep a fertile female with other anoles as she lays eggs?

1. Yes.

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. No.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. MantidBro

MantidBro Active Member

Well, Victor and Rusti have mated multiple times since I've had them together. The first time I witnessed it, was January 9th. I read that the female will lay one egg every 2 weeks. So she should be laying her first around January 23rd.

Should she be left in her own cage to lay, or is it alright to keep her with other anoles?

IMG_4824.JPG

Jay1718 likes this.
  2. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Not sure but it might be less stressful for her to be alone.

3. Qwerty3159

Qwerty3159 Elite Member

I've separated the females and kept them it the male before. I guess if you have the space it definitely can't hurt.
    Are you planning on incubating the eggs? If so you can move the gravid female to a new cage and dry out the substrate a bit save for a small container full of moist substrate- she will lay there. Another thing to consider is that the male will probably eat the hatchlings.

What would certainly benefit the female, however, would be to purchase a second female, that way the male anole won't always just be after her. Too much attention from the male will stress her out over time.

MantidBro likes this.
  4. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

A lot will also depend on the size enclosure and how it is set up.

MantidBro and Darkbird like this.
  5. MantidBro

MantidBro Active Member

Ah thank you, I have kept them together and she's laying without any issues. I remove the eggs as she lays them though, so they don't hatch and end up being a snack for the male.