This Disappears When Logged In

Bromeliads

Discussion in 'Tropical Plants' started by DarkMagician207, Feb 12, 2012.

1. DarkMagician207

DarkMagician207 Elite Member

I think that's how it's spelled. Anyway, I saw some today in the store while my family and I were shopping for flowers for my grandmothers for Valentine's day, and I've never seen any in person (I never really looked for them either). I recall reading through threads before and recalling that some members here use them in some herp enclosures so I thought "Oh, so that's what they look like! They're pretty!" I am thinking about getting one at some point and started looking up a bit about them. So far, it seems that they only bloom once then the bloom dies and thought "bummer", but also read that they produce "pups" too and when they are mature, the pups will bloom too. Would any of you here who do keep or have kept them know if the pups' blooms will look like the mother plant's blooms? Mostly out of curiosity since I haven't found info on that so far unless I haven't stumbled upon it yet.

I wasn't sure where to put this thread exactly since it wouldn't be used in a herp enclosure or anything.

Thanks! :)

2. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

3. BarelyBreathing

BarelyBreathing Elite Member

I used to keep bromeliads in my dart frog vivariums.

4. DarkMagician207

Thanks, I'll have to check out that site since I didn't come across it yet.

5. Dragonscalestudios

Dragonscalestudios Elite Member

The pup is essentially a clone of the mother plant, so yes, the bloom should be identical.

6. DarkMagician207

Thanks, I may give them a try. :)