This Disappears When Logged In

BRIGHT Brazilian Rainbow Boa

Discussion in 'Rainbow Boas' started by savedeafdogs, Mar 8, 2013.

1. savedeafdogs

savedeafdogs Member

Hi everyone! This is my first time at Herp Center :)
    So....I came across a Craiglist post the other day about a brazilian rainbow boa, I've always tried to avoid getting animals off craigslist because there's so little information usually given and known about them and you never know about disease and how they were cared for. Regardless, i saw the picture and couldnt help myself.
    The guy claimed he is a 3 year old Hypo, and by the looks of it I'd agree, his markings are fairly dark but he's really light orange. But I know very little about BRB morphs and wanted your opinion. I picked him up for 300 bucks with an enclosure, the guy had him posted for $750 but ended up dropping the price as soon as I mentioned my chameleons (I have 5 of them, one presently gravid) and green tree python, he said he really just needed to find someone to take him that wouldn't let him get a respiratory infection from neglect and die. Any suggestions or ideas for this guy? Opinions? I saw him and the idea of breeding crept into the back of my head. Thoughts?

3Ma3Lb3oe5N15Gf5F9d31891b64c114031102.jpg 3Fd3Mc3Ha5G65F75H6d3132c835345a44177a-1.jpg 3F43Ib3pa5Ic5E35Hdd31dd1a703d386e154c.jpg 3I83m93Ha5L25Ka5M4d2l0cd1b903777c1c34.jpg )

2. JoeyG

JoeyG Subscribed User Premium Member

Dont know much about them but he looks really healthy actually. Have a vet check a fecal sample just in case is all I could add. I do think the guy had it priced a little high so good work on getting it down. Welcome to HC would enjoy pix of you other guys too!

3. savedeafdogs

savedeafdogs Member

i took him to my local shop and they didnt express any concerns either but a fecal sample is a good idea :)
    I wasnt even trying to haggle, i just offered him what i had and told him my experience and he just caved haha. The snake is super friendly too, very handlable and calm.

4. Rainbowsrus

Rainbowsrus Well-Known Member

Well, I don't know about Hypo, they typically are a lot lighter in the dark markings and typically are a lot lighter in color overall.

Some pics.....
    Billy_20130120a.jpg
    Dumbo_20101024a.jpg

Attached Files:

5. savedeafdogs

savedeafdogs Member

Thanks for your thoughts! He's very light colored, more like the colors of the bottom picture. But I noticed his markings are a little dark. But I'm still trying to figure it out I guess. Most hypo pictures i find are of very young snakes, so the markings aren't really comparable. Do darker markings mean he's not hypo or different color morph? Or is it just not very typical? thanks again

IMG_7755.jpg

still not a great picture of the colors.... but this is indoors in dim lighting

IMG_2907.jpg

maybe this one is better for judging markings... thanks again!!!

6. Rainbowsrus

Rainbowsrus Well-Known Member

Looks more like a yellow phase to me. Still cool looking. Here's a yellow I had several years back on breeding loan.
    2007_12_22OlYellerpic02.jpg
    2007_12_22OlYellerandDiablopic01.jpg

Attached Files:

7. savedeafdogs

savedeafdogs Member

That looks just like him!!
    That's a gorgeous snake too. I've never heard of a yellow kind, maybe ill look into a nice orange or another yellow to compliment him :)

Attached Files: