This Disappears When Logged In

Breeding?

Discussion in 'Kingsnakes' started by jshrad, Jan 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jshrad

jshrad Elite Member

Do you think a desert king would breed with a striped king? I am probably not going to try it, I am just curious. :D

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Since they are both Lampropeltis an interspecies breeding is possible but you would end up with a hybrid. Many types of hybrids are showing up lately. This is very controversial in the reptile community.

3. jshrad

jshrad Elite Member

I know it would be a hybrid and a pretty cool one at that. What are your views on hybrids? I am all for it.

4. Merlin

Personally I don't care for them. I, like a lot of herpers, am concerned about contamination of the bloodlines. The mixing up of species, if allowed to go unchecked could result in the entire blood line of a given species being so jumbled up and contaminated that the original species could for all intents and purposes no longer exist. In the event of a catastrophic event to the point that the entire species no longer existed in the wild there may not be any pure examples of that species to repopulate and it would be gone forever. It sounds far fetched but that is currently what is beleived concerning Hog Island boas. They are beleived to be extinct in the wild and many of the captive bloodlines have been tainted with crossbreeding with common boas.

5. jshrad

jshrad Elite Member

Ohh :eek: , I never thought about it that way. Thanks for informing me.

6. Merlin

No problem. Granted I have seen some very attractive hybrids. I am just not so sure its worth it.

7. jshrad

jshrad Elite Member

Ohhh, do you have any kingsnakes yourself? :confused:

8. Merlin

Yes, a California king, an Eastern Chain King and a Ruthvens king

9. jshrad

jshrad Elite Member

Awesome! Could you post some pics?

10. Merlin

Ok here ya go! I can't find my pics of the chain king