This Disappears When Logged In

Breeding Superworms

Discussion in 'Feeders' started by mld, Jan 27, 2012.

1. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Here is one in your area that carries it;
    Welcome to the People's Food Co-op

2. Evozakira

Evozakira Elite Member

Michelle how do you do it!!! Ill go there.

3. Evozakira

Evozakira Elite Member

So I went to the co-op (Cant believe I forgot about it) and they had some wheat bran and you got to bag it yourself :D. Only 89 cents a pound! Now my supers have a happy home and I put some by their selves to see if I cant get some aliens :)

4. mld

Yeah, those bulk food stores are great!

5. Evozakira

Evozakira Elite Member

Thanks for the help Michelle I cant believe I forgot about that little store. I used to shop there lol

6. mld

I now have 8 pupae as of this morning! :D
    I have 2 more supers that died, it looks like the ones that have died are the smaller one of the bunch

7. Evozakira

Evozakira Elite Member

Good to hear :) mine are curling

8. Wyldrose

Wyldrose Elite Member

All my 1st adults died, maybe it was a food/water issue. I have no idea, I'll offer more carrots and food this time... I have about a dozen baby super worms, so atleast I got some lol!
    I have 15 pupae and 24 on their way. I bought 2 bead containers like your tackle boxes Michelle and they have worked great! I give the dead supers to the mice, they go crazy for them lol!!

9. Evozakira

Evozakira Elite Member

I forgot i had a bean container! Thanks for the reminder.

10. mld

As of today I have 23 pupae

I also changed the bins that I had my superworms in, I had them in a drawer type of storage bins, they were not getting enough ventilation so I switched them to larger bins with lids and just drilled holes in the top and along the top of the sides.

11. mld

During the past week the majority of pupae have transformed into beetles! Here are a couple of photos. P3230008.jpg P3230009.jpg

12. geckomage

geckomage New Member

Thank you all for such a good wealth of information. Me and a good friend of mine have been breeding leos for awhile now and it tends to be quite like a superworm genocide in the leo room. So i figured we'd finally start breeding our own supers to cut costs even more. (more profit ;] ) Anyone have any good suggestions for other reptiles to breed? we're looking to expand. we currently supply 6 local mom and pop petstores with regular and morph leos. :)

13. mld

Glad this thread has helped you out! Good luck with the breeding

14. mld

Thought I would update all of you on this project;

The beetles have done their thing, and I now have superworms, still pretty small.
    Of all the beetles I only have 7 left but they are still doing what I want.

So here is a photos of the babies;

P9010056.jpg