This Disappears When Logged In

Breeding Food

Discussion in 'Feeders' started by gynx112, Mar 5, 2014.

1. gynx112

gynx112 Active Member

So I've been feeding my collared lizard crickets and the occasional snack of wax worms. I'm so tired of crickets though d they smell no matter how much I clean their cricket keeper, the hide in her tank. She's pretty much blind in one eye so if they are on that side she just flat out won't see them and some times has trouble catching them. I don't know if mealworms are the best option. If I could find live silk worms, I'd be all over that. But other than roaches, which are still slightly too big for her, not to mention a bit pricey, there's not much selection here.

I'm thinking about breeding some. Maybe grasshoppers or maybe one of the millions of types of worms. Any suggestions? And does anyone know if breeding grasshoppers is even legal in California?

Thanks!

2. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

I haven't seen much on breeding grasshoppers but I can see it being difficult.
    You said no to roaches but once you have a large colony going, you will have many different sizes which would be appropriate for feeding. The initial cost may seem higher to get going but you will save that many many many times over in the long run.

3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

The legality in California is something that you would have to take up with the local agriculture department. They have a lot of very stringent laws.
    With regard to breeding the grasshoppers, I would imagine that it isn't very plausible, or people would already be doing it.