This Disappears When Logged In

Breeding Dubia's

Discussion in 'Invertebrates General' started by Coryssavvy, Dec 7, 2012.

1. Coryssavvy

Coryssavvy New Member

Alright so I am new to this. I have a 35 gallon tub setup with a large heat mat under the tub. It is lined with egg cartons. I have pit an orange in with some water crystals and some crushed dog food and grain. As far as the humidity goes what is the easiest way to control it an what should it be at? I started with 100 dubia's and about 5 are males. Is that enough? I am really hoping this works out well because I have given up on crickets, they smell and get loose constantly. Any input is appreciated
    Thank you!
    Cory Dennis

2. AdamL8

AdamL8 Elite Member

I started with 2 adult pairs and 260 mixed sizes. That was 3 months ago. As of yesterday I'm up to 62 adult females. If you give them warmth, food, and water, you are golden. It will likely take 6 months or longer before you can feed entirely out of your tub but it will happen. Companies that sell Dubia keep a low male:female ratio. Sometimes this is as low as 1:8. The males eat up your food and the females can only get pregnant once every 30 days so 1 male can impregnate multiple females. Most people simply feed off excess males which is what I do. For the time being I keep a near 1:1 ratio because I don't have many but once my colony is in full swing I will probably drop that to atleast 1:3 if not 1:5.

For humidity, I have a water bottle with holes in the lid centered on the heat source as well as water crystals that are also on the heat source. I have only ever had issues with molting one time and I misted the sides of the tub then it went away. I do not actively mist the tub so I'm not sure exactly what caused the bad molts. It's supposed to be around 60% but mine is probably closer to 50% and I have no problems.

3. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

Keep an eye on the food for mold. Hopefully you put it on something for easier cleaning.
    If you use anything with a lip, make sure to cut out a section so the nymphs can reach the food.

For some reason I can't keep mold from growing this time. It's definitely not too humid in mine.

4. Sci

Sci Well-Known Member

I am having a hard time keeping my tub warm enough. They are in a sterlite 20 gallon I think.. Any way I have a large zoomed UTH on the side.. Temp never goes above 80 but never drops below 70. Looking right now it is at 72.3. Lame.

How do you guys heat them?

5. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I cheat!
    Its sitting on top of my iguana enclosure right over the CHE! Two heaters from one CHE and being up there I don't have to worry about my dogs getting into it.
    For which my wife would kill me!

6. AdamL8

AdamL8 Elite Member

I was actually having a similar issue with heating. I had about a 1 and 1/2 foot strip of 11 inch FlexWatt hooked up to the same dimmer that my BP uses but the roaches sit right on the floor. The BP has a 95F hot spot through her tub but when I felt the Dubias piece it was almost cold. I plugged it in with no dimmer to make sure that the connections didn't somehow break and it heated right up so I know it wasn't that. Now that I switched to the human heating pad I can noticeably feel the heat inside the tub and it covers a larger area. I'm hoping that this rise in heat will significantly raise my breeding numbers for the next month. In theory I should have at least 1000 Dubia nymphs by next month but for some reason I'm hesitant to believe that.

7. Sci

Sci Well-Known Member

So I should be using a human heating pad? Any brands you recommend?

8. AdamL8

AdamL8 Elite Member

All new ones have an auto off feature that turns it off after a couple hours because people would fall asleep using them and burn themselves. This is an issue if you want to heat your Dubia with it so you need to find an older one. Check Amazon or eBay and it should say somewhere that it has no auto off feature or it does have it.

9. preyparade

preyparade Well-Known Member

I have found that seedling heat mats work well under the tubs.